Focal Point
[SOLVED] Matching file name to report name

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3961098513

January 29, 2009, 03:17 PM
Jaywill
[SOLVED] Matching file name to report name
We recently had a request to do searches against all .fex files to locate one or more strings.
Ex Show me all reports that have the string "- SET" in them.

We have a good tool to crawl the files, but it can only list the file names (xzy.fex).

Does anyone have a good solution for matching the file names back up to the "report" name?
EX xzy.fex = "Accounting Quarter End Report 1"

Any other recommended ways to fulfill that type of request?

Jason Vipond

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaywill,

WF 8.0.08 ... Windows Server 2008
January 29, 2009, 03:25 PM
FrankDutch
That information is somewhere hidden in the html files.
We have created an application that lists all the fexes, creation date, changedate, internal name and location and the display names.
You could combine this with your search.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

January 29, 2009, 05:58 PM
Trav
This information is in your domain html file on the server. Assuming a fairly plain install, this would be located in: x:\ibi\WebFOCUS76\basedir\domain\domain.htm.

The domain file names can be found by right clicking your domain folder in Dev Studio and viewing the properties.

As Frank mentioned, there have been posts on this forum that provide methods for treating that file like a source for a report and thus you can write reports against it. Take a look at that file in a text editor and it should make some sense.

Try this: https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...1057331/m/3411070661

And it was based off of an idea from Francis but I can't find that thread at the moment (maybe he'll chime in).

Production: 7.6.6 WF Server  <=>  7.6.6 WF Client  <=>  7.6.6 Dev Studio
Testing: <none>
Using MRE & BID.  Connected to MS SQL Server 2005
Output Types: HTML, Excel, PDF
January 30, 2009, 12:29 AM
susannah
jaywill
use TEXTPAD, its a text editor from , as luck would have it, www.textpad.com
its got a kicking 'search in files' feature
which searches whatever directories you spec, for whatever character string you spec, and gives you a list of every file name and presents the full line of text in tha file containing your desired string.
Nice, concise list output.
its very cheap.
Free for x days. The free version won't search but 50 files at a time as i recall, at least that's the way it used to be.

wait, i misread your question. you've already got that...
yes you want to read the domainname.htm file in the domain directory, which Frank and Trav have already said.
meaning, if your domain is named mydomain then there exists a file
basedir/mydomain/mydomain.htm
That file will have the true file name and the display name (what you see in the Properties box)..i assume that's what you mean by 'Report name';
You can write a master for this , as a text file; and just do some -READ's

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
January 30, 2009, 02:07 AM
nubi
try Agent Ransack

its a very good searching tool, you can specify RegEx or search within files, and it will also give you a preview panel to show you line of code that matches your query...

and it's free....

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor
January 30, 2009, 09:20 AM
Trav
I like Notepad++ :-)

Searches in files, regex supported, free, support syntax highlighting for TONS of languages (even WF), and you can use it was a WF dev tool.

Check out the features at:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

February 02, 2009, 02:11 PM
Jaywill
Has anyone already built a master for this that they wouldn't mind sharing??

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Regards,
Jason

February 02, 2009, 02:37 PM
Trav
Francis did, but I had trouble finding that post... You might search and see if you can find it (I honestly didn't look too long).

Otherwise you might bug Francis.

February 02, 2009, 02:44 PM
susannah
The master is just one long record, make it A200
Its the parsing of each record in the read fex that is the wizardry...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID
February 02, 2009, 03:14 PM
Francis Mariani
[CLOSED] how to list reports in a dashboard block provides a Master for basedir.htm and Report against user.htm? provides a master for user.htm. Both are handy for reporting on MRE data.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
February 02, 2009, 03:55 PM
Jaywill
Indeed, you are the raddest of the rad!

Thanks again,
Jason