Focal Point
Issue with join, Generate SQL gives sepearate SQL for each join

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/3971077922

May 27, 2007, 08:16 AM
Prasanna
Issue with join, Generate SQL gives sepearate SQL for each join
All,
I have a fact table and 6 dim table.Made a join in WF on their key(in this one dim table will have 2 columns to join).After this i had created define columns and used them in the report.The report is having BY and WHERE conditions. Once i executed the report, if i click on the generate SQL, it gave me 7 differenct queries instead of one single query with all the joins together.
Any idea why this happens?

Also i have a issue with data in the WF report, for the given conditions and joins if database query gives me 5 rows by grouping data, WF query gives me 6 rows,whereas the 6th row has remaining data (other than 5 rows of data) from the DB table under one group.
Is it because the joins were not formed correctly?Any existing forum discussions or suggestions on the will be helpful.

Regards

Dev:
Dev Studio 7.1.6,Report Caster 7.1.1,Servlet
Local:
Dev Studio 7.1.6,Report Caster 7.1.1,Apache 5.0.2,
Win XP

May 27, 2007, 09:48 AM
Leah
WebFOCUS generates what it feels is the most efficient SQL code to accomplish your request. Are any of you defines 'define based' as in using a defined object as part of your join.

Leah
May 28, 2007, 04:12 AM
Prasanna
Leah,
I Got one solution. I had recreated the report and kept a conditon to filter out the record for which the junk value is created.Now it works fine. With this new fitler i created the entire report again now all the joins are clubbed and the query became one.

Regards

Dev:
Dev Studio 7.1.6,Report Caster 7.1.1,Servlet
Local:
Dev Studio 7.1.6,Report Caster 7.1.1,Apache 5.0.2,
Win XP

May 28, 2007, 10:52 AM
Leah
Glad to hear it is working. WebFOCUS is a great product, but every once in a while it can drive you crazy trying to figure out an issue.

Leah