Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     A CONSTANT REQUIRES A REAL FIELD ON THE LEFT SIDE. USE WITH : Y

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
A CONSTANT REQUIRES A REAL FIELD ON THE LEFT SIDE. USE WITH : Y
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Am working on version 714. While executing a report via reportcaster, am getting below error message.

A CONSTANT REQUIRES A REAL FIELD ON THE LEFT SIDE. USE WITH : Y

The report is executing fine in MRE.

Can anyone of you help me resolving this error.
Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
Kasi Krishnan
WF 7.1.4 & WF 7.6.9: Databases - DB2, SQL Server 2000.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Krishkasi
we need to see your DEFINEs.
You have a constant defined somewhere
and it needs to be defined along with some real fieldname from the segment where you want the constant to exist so that focus knows which segment it belongs to.
DEFINE FILE yourfile
MYFIELD/I4 WITH somefieldname = 1 ;
END

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As Susannah says, Focus needs to know 'when' to define, so need real field. You are being bit by the differences in the MRE and Caster world of WebFOCUS, there are somethings you can get away with in MRE that you can't in caster. My one issue with the product since we went to WebFOCUS has been this 'difference'.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Dear Susannah and Leah,
have figured out the problem and forgot to post my findings..
Spelling mistake in the column name gave out this error.

It may look funny but this was the problem...

My report looks as follows
SQL
SELECT
COLUMNA AS COLUMNA
FROM TABLEA
WITH UR;
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS TABLEB
END
TABLE FILE TABLEB
PRINT COLUMNAS
-* SEE THE ADDITIONAL 'S' HERE TO THE COLUMN
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
styles
ENDSTYLE
END

Above code was working fine in MRE. But if i ran it through the reportcaster, it gave out the abovesaid error. "A CONSTANT REQUIRES A REAL FIELD ON THE LEFT SIDE. USE WITH : Y"

Regards,
Kasi Krishnan
WF 7.1.4 & WF 7.6.9: Databases - DB2, SQL Server 2000.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I can empathize completely. Just went through an issue helping with some code and why a join wasn't working. Turns out the 7.1.x version we use doesn't like JOIN CLEAR* unless you have a space before the *. Very old code from mainframe days. The message indicated there must be something wrong with the join just after. Such a nightmare.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post