Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Page 1 2 3 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Testing 7.6 Issues
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hello everyone,

Our current environment is 5.2 and we're just starting to test WF 7.6

Here are a few of the behavior changes I'm finding with the jump from 5.2 to 7.6

1 - SQL Data Connections are now Case Sensitive - no big issue here, it's always been an issue for Microsoft Access Data Adapers.

2 - auto prompting when set to XMLRUN, is single threaded. If I run a report and don't close the session, I can't run any other focexec. And, I don't want that WebFOCUS 7 screen, would like the old behavior of just the prompts.

3 - ENGINE SQLMSS SET CONVERSION LONGCHAR TEXT - doesn't appear to be supported anymore. Believe it or not, we had a need for this in 5.2 due to a bug with the number of characters that could be passed back using ALPHA

Any comments are welcome, I'm hoping others may add knowproblems to this post.

Thanks,
Carol

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
hi carol
#2, i'm with you. that launch screen is awful. i'm told there was a reason for it...something about "using a common chunk of code for mre and for self serve" , something about "clients who had the server only, having no way of runing a fex short of creating their own launch page", so therefore penalize the many for the sake of a few, and we're stuck with this highly-dysfunctional screen.
You'll find more land mines, such as differences between running a fex in caster and running it from mre, as far as &&parms are concerned.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah,

That prompt screen is awful, where were they thinking? I see you're running your development in 7.1.6, is the awful screen screen in that version also? If not, maybe that's our answer. I certainly think 7.1.6 would be more stable.

Thanks and hope you have a wonderful holiday!
Carol

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Does it seem like they changed the fundamental nature of how prompts are handled? Our report caster jobs wouldn't accept IBIB_parm variables until we manually opened the job in RC and checked the box to prompt for the variables. We also have to recode most of our drilldowns where we have DEFAULT values and change them to DEFAULTH so the user isn't prompted for the variable we're passing in the drilldown code.

Anyone else having these types of issues in 7.6?

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
Win Server 2K/ISAPI/MSSQL Server 2K
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
Win Server 2003/TomCat/MSSQL Server 2K
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66

Posts: 43 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Aaron! I've only been testing for a few hours, will try a ReportCaster job and drilldown next.

Carol

Guru
posted Hide Post
Just opened and closed a case with IBI

There is absolutely no way to turn that awful autoprompt screen off or change the single threaded behavior. IBI thinks it's better.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Any upgrade will bring some pain. My frustration is that the documentation on the 'new features' is not done well or sometimes at all. We'd like to switch over to secure LDAP but can't find any documentation on it. I opened a case and was told to use the little help (?) icons on the setup page to see what is required for each field. The IBIB_parm passing is another issue - a show stopper for us. I had to figure it out through trial and error - and my case manager doesn't seem to want to call me back even though I've requested two (2) callbacks in 2 days.

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66

Posts: 43 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
No wonder people are not upgrading to 7 yet!

Guru
posted Hide Post
Testing Data connections from the Server Console doesn't work.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Do you mean the data adapters?

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Carol,

See if this thread helps any of your issues...and I'm with you...that Prompt screen's awful.
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...211019571#1211019571

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Aaron - yes, when setting up a data adapter, there's a test function that doesn't work. Maybe it's our installation or configuration, not sure yet.

Prarie - Thanks for this post, now I know 7.1 has that same dumb parm screen. We did figure out on our own how to make the run in new window the default but IBI did not pass that information along to us.

You guys are so much better than the help received when opening a case (and quicker)!

We're also having a problem getting 7.6 working with CGI which I would like to test. Anyone successfully done that?

Thanks and hope everyone has a terrific holiday season!

Carol

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Carol

Are you using the migrate function on the server Workspace to get your old ones moved over? We had a problem at first too but (I believe) the fix was to make sure our profiles were pointing at the correct MFD folder.

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Aaron,

I am not using the migrate function, I'll look that up and give it a try. I'm just creating the data adapter, adding the directory to the app path and then using the synonym wizard to create new masters and access file descriptions. Everything works OK except for the TEST function.

I'll look into the migrate function and thanks again for your help!

Carol

Guru
posted Hide Post
We got the "TEST" of the Data Adapter working finally in 7.6, yippee!

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Did you do anything in particular?

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66

Expert
posted Hide Post
Aaron, omg whats DEFAULTH ?
(i'm afraid to hear the answer...)

Carol, yes that java screen is in 716. How did you get it to run in a new window by default?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Susannah

From the WebFocus/Iway New Features 7.6 manual, page 10-60:
---------------------------------
If you want to initialize a variable and prevent it from being used for WebFOCUS parameter
prompting, you can use the -DEFAULTH command to initialize the variable. Variables
initialized with -DEFAULTH are not returned in the XML describe information used for
parameter prompting. Since these variables are not displayed by the parameter prompting
features, they are hidden from the user.

From the WebFocus/Iway New Features 7.6 manual, page 11-36:

ReportCaster will not prompt for variables with defaults set by the -DEFAULTH
command. The purpose of the -DEFAULTH command is to be able to assign amper
variables a default value and not be dynamically prompted for that variable.

Basically, when we passed parameters through a drill-down we were using DEFAULT and SET. I think DEFAULTH is supposed to do away with the need for both, using only DEFAULTH.

Aaron

source: http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/tech/wbf/wbf...ase_information.html

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66

Guru
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I'm not sure how the testing of the data connection got fixed, either I had a screwed up session, or it's because I added some of the application folders to the app path. In the past, I only added the application folder to the app path if we were using ReportCaster. App path settings were always coded in the call to WebFOCUS or in the code itself. With 7.6, it appears all folders need to be in the app path???? We're in the early stages of testing, but it's realy frustrating!

Thanks for the DEFAULTH information, good to know!

Susannah,

RickW is here with me, he did a "view,source" on the "awful screen" and made changes to have the "run in new window" default checked. However, it's not working, I spoke too soon. If we get it working, I'll post the solution. There just has to be a way!

For whatever it's worth, you can do a CNTRL N while in Dev Studio to open more windows.

Thanks again everyone! 5 tested, thousands more go test!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Carol,

Did the solution I mentioned above at the end of the post not work in 7.6? It worked in 7.1.6. The solution came from IBI.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I tried the solution you posted and wasn't able to make it work either.

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66

Guru
posted Hide Post
Prarie,

Thank you, I will try this next, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again! Carol

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Frowner

Guru
posted Hide Post
Prarie, thank you that worked! If we can't get rid of the dopey screen, at least it won't be single threaded!

Aaron, had to restart TomCat to get it to work, you might want to try that.

Thanks again!

Guru
posted Hide Post
correction, we restarted TomCast and IIS and the change finally worked.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
We didn't try it with 7.6 but it (almost) works as we need it.

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well good...Not sure why we have to jump thru hoops like this?????

Guru
posted Hide Post
Prarie and Susannah, hope to see you at Summit in May!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on it!

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Is anyone having any problems using PACKED fields? Ours are returning the wrong numbers from the database.

Aaron M Reiff
Prod - WebFocus 7.66
Prod - ReportCaster 5
--------------------
Test - WebFocus 7.66
--------------------
Dev - WebFocus 7.66