Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     7.6 To Wait or Not To Wait

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
7.6 To Wait or Not To Wait
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
We are currenly on 5.3.6 and the powers that be want to install the current release available at this time.

My questions are:

For those of you that are on the current release, what advantages and/or disadvantages did you find with the new release?

Should we wait for the 7.6 release?

Thanks,
Glenda

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
<RickW>
posted
We're in the same boat and looking at a 1st qtr 2k7 upgrade from 5.2. Since 7.6 isn't even out yet I'm somewhat leary.

We're going to be meeting with IBI soon to find out some of the details. Probably be a good idea to talk to your site rep and do the same. Good luck!

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Glenda,

Big question - "Is there anything in the current release that you really need now and cannot wait for?".

If not then wait for the first patch release of 7.6 (7.6.1 minimum).

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

For general info on new features in WebFOCUS 7.6, the following manuals may be of interest:

WebFOCUS/iWay New Features 7.6

WebFOCUS/iWay New Features Highlights 7.6

Hope it helps. Smiler

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
7 in general has a different parameter screen from 5, java instead of html, so for developers its a painful hit to productivity.
-Can't copy the parm screen to use in making sure your drilldowns cover all the bases,
-can't take advantage of autocomplete to fill in parms when you're running tests,
-cant verify that you're run live or deferred mode
-can't get any clue that you're actually running , no status bar in the bottom.
-etc etc etc
i don't know who thought that was a good idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard and read, it does sound like a painful upgrade to v7. As Susannah mentioned, the forms don't work the same way. One fundamental difference between previous versions and v7 (I hope I'm wrong) is that parameter names/values aren't passed in exactly the same way as we've become accustomed to. For instance, if you have a multi-select drop-down list and you select more than one entry in the list, in versions previous to v7, the selected values would be passed via parameter names suffixed numerically with a &VARNAME0 (zero) that contained the number of values passed. This, as far as I know does not work the saem way. Does this mean that all forms with multi-select drop-down list boxes have to be modified? Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We just upgraded to 7.1.6(really 7.1.4..but some extra patches..that will be in 7.1.6...so we are calling it that) and did not have to do that...but did find a bug...when you have a parameter and submit a form that passes to the fex...works fine the first time...submit the form again...you get Douple quotes around the parameter and it bombs. Seems to only do this Excel Format. We are waiting for a patch.
Only been on this version a week...so everyday is new. We tested all our old applications..but are running into different little things now with new development. Also...if you made a change in the Text Editor, ran the fex and then X out of the program...did prompt for saving changes...got a patch for that today.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis, I am happy to report the demise of &VARNAME0 has been exagerrated. It still works. I am able to identify the number of selected values and the values themselves using the &VARNAME0, &VARNAME1, &VARNAMEn strategy. I ran the file from html generated by 7.1.4 HTML Layout Painter to test whether the new javascript would affect it adversely, and it didn't.

There is a new ibirls2 file in 7.1.4 with a different mix of function calls from the old ibirls file, but the older ibirls is still supported. And there's an html import procedure that can create some duplicate javascript calls if you are importing 5.1.4-generated forms. So far, the only bug we've found in parameterized forms from pre-7 versions, running in 7.1.4, is the one Prarie reported.

WebFocus 7.1.4 Win2K Client

WebFocus 7.1.6 Server

Posts: 22 | Location: san antonio texas | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Prarie,
when you get 'patches', are they made available just to your site, or are they put into the current build of the release? do you happen to know?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

As tglaser mentions, the multi select variable should be a thing of the past. The problem was apparent in early releases of 7.1 (I hit upon it in 7.1.3) but patches were fairly quick to be provided.

I did take the view (throught experience) that if it's happened once it wil happen again, and have therefore tried to code covering both situations (see other previous topics).

My current client has the patch but has not applied it as the code around is holding well.

One item that is still quite annoying is the affect on an "onchange" event on a chained combo. The IBIRLS script effectively removes it on page load laying waste to all your precisely engineered coding. A fix is to issue the attachment of the required "onchange" event after the "loaddata" call from the normal "onload" function.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post