Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [solved] best way to display 15 reporting objects on one page?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[solved] best way to display 15 reporting objects on one page?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

I am looking for some advice from you fine people. I have a requirement to layout about five tables and ten graphs on one HTML page. I have built individual fexes for each object, and figured i would load them in 15 iframes on one HTML page. This method worked very well for the first 8 or so objects, but then performance dropped seriously when I loaded more objects.

To make matters worse, I actually ran out of agents a couple of times, since each of the objects triggered their own agent.

I have a possible approach in mind, but there is a downside. It occurred to me that I could use one fex to run each of the graphs and save the images on the server. Then I'd just reference the image and there would be no performance impact. This would result in only one agent, and I think also that the server would likely avoid trying to run all the processes in parallel.

So, the only downside to this that I can see is that I will lose the mouse-over data point functionality. I'll basically have a static image instead of a graph where the user can hover over a point and see the value. UNLESS! Is there a way to also hold those mouse-over values and then call the image with those intact?

Alternately, is there a different way to approach what I'm trying to do? Maybe a precision report, which I know not much about?

Thanks in advance for all your creative suggestions.

Cheers,

Joey

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Moogle,

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Your approach seems to me to be the right way to go. And there is good news: you will not loose your mouse-over functionality with graphs. Because there is a way to show graphs not as image but the same way as in iframes.
Things to do:
1. have one fex that creates all things to display on the page.
2. hold all results as a named file with format HTMTABLE, DO NOT do PCHOLD, but HOLD.
3. At the end of the processing create your html page, using div tags, not iframes.
4. Populate each div with the associated hold file.
Consider next example:
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SEATS 
BY COUNTRY
ON GRAPH HOLD AS GR1 FORMAT HTMTABLE
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<HTML>
<BODY>
<DIV STYLE="FLOAT:RIGHT;">!IBI.FIL.GR1;</DIV>
</BODY>
</HTML>
-HTMLFORM END

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Joey,

Seeing your post made think of my recent project that I created that delivers content using 9 focexecs. Some fex's have more than one item (13 items total). One has 4 (as an example).

I chose frames, because I put a header bar (to display) that contains a tiny button to refresh. Typically, the user needs to refresh a single frame at a time. If all items are on a single html page, then when refreshed, it refreshes all. Some of the display has operational information (right now stuff), some have past 24 hours, which they don't
typically refresh often.

Anyway.... best I can tell, it uses 2 agents when loading and has never been a problem.

Perhaps frames are more efficient than many iframes?

--wg

PS - One of the focexec uses a google chart gauge and ajax to update. The gauge needles
move when updated, rather than repainting the whole frame... it's pretty cool. I don't
know if webfocus gauge has that ability?

WF 8009m, Clustered vm Windows2008r2 reporting servers;
Web interface: tomcat;
Output: EXCEL, HTML, PDF; dbms: Oracle 10, db2 on mvs, mssql

Posts: 81 | Location: Monroe LA | Registered: January 07, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi GamP,

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted, thanks so much.

I'm sad to lose the drag and drop placement of the html composer, but I will manage as best I can in pure code. I'll have to research this whole div tag stuff, but I played with it a few years back so I just need to blow the cruft off those memories.

Winfred, you have an approach that works for what you are doing, and I agree that it is the way to go. If I wasn't laying out a bunch of static objects, I'd never consider not going with iframes. Also, AJAX to reload is the future of everything we do. WF gauge graphs do not have movable needles, but flex dashboards can give you those fun animations if required. Google makes a charting application? must investigate, before they put me out of a job! Wink

Cheers,

Joey

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Joey,

Start here:
http://code.google.com/apis/visualization/

Gauge is here:
http://code.google.com/apis/vi...tation/examples.html

--wg

WF 8009m, Clustered vm Windows2008r2 reporting servers;
Web interface: tomcat;
Output: EXCEL, HTML, PDF; dbms: Oracle 10, db2 on mvs, mssql

Posts: 81 | Location: Monroe LA | Registered: January 07, 2005Report This Post