Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPEN]Reference radio/checkbox label within WF8204 - And upgrade consideration

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPEN]Reference radio/checkbox label within WF8204 - And upgrade consideration
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hi,

Don't know if you have notice that change but since WF8204 (or since a version after 8201M gen240) the "LABEL" tag are gone !!

Let me explain.
Up to at least WF8201M gen240, when you create a radio or checkbox control the Composer was creating a DIV tag with the below structure:
radio1 <DIV>
  table10 <TABLE>
    radio1_LABEL_0 <LABEL>
     radio10 <INPUT>
    radio1_LABEL_1 <LABEL>
     radio11 <INPUT>
    radio1_LABEL_2 <LABEL>
     radio12 <INPUT>

Now it's not anymore the case (at least since 8204). Creating a radio or checkbox now result in
radio1 <DIV>

You can still perform js and reference radio10, radio11 or radio12 such as below
radio10.checked = true;

But you CAN'T anymore reference, as per below, radio1_LABEL_0, radio1_LABEL_1 or radio1_LABEL_2 because they don't exist
radio1_LABEL_0.style.backgroundColor="red";

Does someone know how to perform the same action, as when I was referencing the label, but using WF8204 when the LABEL doesn't "exist" anymore ?
Having such a line of code in WF8204 prevent the page to load because of the undefined element.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MartinY,

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Martin

Hopefully you have opened a case on this since no one has been able to give you any advice.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I ended up deleting and recreating many radio buttons when I went from 8.1.05M to 8.2.03. A less than pleasant experience.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 115 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 07, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Here a little update from my case :

quote:

This issue is a known behavior in the 8204 release.
The development team has created a patch for the 8204M release where all htm files created prior to this release (referencing the _LABEL tag) will work the same way as they did before.
However any new htm files that you create on 8204 will not work the same way (referencing LABEL tags will generate errors).

As for a way to do the same thing (referencing the button selection using LABEL tag), give me some time to test if the IBComposer functions can be used here.
The development team is working on this issue right now and I will try to find a workaround for you that you can use till a solution is found.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think they came to the conclusion that always generating the radio button (and label) entries inside that DIV is a lot more generic than relying on inserting entries for static values and generating entries for dynamic values.

From a code maintenance point of view, that's understandably an improvement. For backwards compatibility, not so much...

Solving the incompatibility is a challenge though. I don't think it's reasonably possible to create a tool that can convert reliance on features of the old behaviour to the new behaviour, like in Martin's case.
Having both versions exist next to each other should be possible though, which works as long as you don't edit an "old" HTML in the new editor (a conversion warning with an opt-out would be nice).

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We will be going to a whole new look and feel for our next rewrite using all the new bells and whistles. I have code from the 8.0x HTML Composer I have kludged through a 8.1x and now an 8.2x upgrade.

That's assuming we still are using WebFOCUS the next time for our portals.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 115 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 07, 2015Report This Post