Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Complex subtotals question

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Complex subtotals question
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Is it possible to have subtotals like this?

MID 1 then row data
MID 1 then row data
MID 1 then row data etc.
Totals
9999999999 4 159.80 USD DR
0 -(00.00) USD CR
5 120.00 CAD DR
(only display rows if there is data to total)
1 -(50.00) CAD CR
Grand Total 4 159.80 USD
Grand Total 6 70.00 CAD

MID 2 then row data
MID 2 then row data
MID 2 then row data etc.
Totals
9999999999 4 159.80 USD DR
0 -(00.00) USD CR
5 120.00 CAD DR
(only display rows if there is data to total)
1 -(50.00) CAD CR
Grand Total 4 159.80 USD
Grand Total 6 70.00 CAD

So basically they want subtotals by MID.
The want the debit and credit subtotals to be seperate. And also the currency rows to be seperate with the debits and credits as well. And also a count of the number of transactions per line. And then a grand total per mid with the currency rows seperate with the debits and credits totals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Solaris
HTML, PDF, XLS, CSV

Posts: 55 | Registered: September 08, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
English is my first language, but I don't understand this!

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Even me too. English is my second language though Smiler

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5

Posts: 394 | Location: Chennai | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
lol ok, I will try and explain it better. I only understood after seeing a mockup of what they wanted.

The mockup like this:
(column titles)
1.Case ID 2.Account No 3.MID 4.Chargeback Amount 5.Currency 6. Debit/Credit

(rows - data)
1. 1234 2. 333 3. 9999 4. 50.00 5. USD 6. DR
1. 1236 2. 234 3. 9999 4. 50.00 5. USD 6. DR
1. 1324 2. 444 3. 9999 4. (25.00) 5. USD 6. CR
1. 2322 2. 555 3. 9999 4. 61.00 5. CAN 6. DR

Subtotals
(by MID, rec count, amount, currency, debit/credit)
9999 2 100.00 USD DR
1 (20.00) USD CR
1 61.00 CAN DR
0 (0.00) CAN CR

Grand Totals
(by MID, rec count, amount, currency)
3 80.00 USD
1 61.00 CAN

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Solaris
HTML, PDF, XLS, CSV

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Suzy,

While WebFocus does not easily allow rolled-up subtotals/subfoots at the bottom (or top) of a sort break and report footing. it can be done using a hard coded list of sort values and subtotals, subfoots, prefix operators if you are working with a known small list of sort values.

Since you are sorting by MID and it is 4 characters long, I'm assuming you could have many sort breaks. If so, you really need a dynamic method.

I found a way to do just what you are attempting using the McGyver technique. I've since created a Tips and Techinques document that shows you how to do it. You can find it here:MacGyver Dynamic Subtotals/SubFoots

If you are not familiar with the McGyver technique, you'll want to watch Noreen Reddin's webinar from DEC 2010, other McGyver Tips and Techniques documents, and help found here in the forum.

I'm also doing a Webinar next week on March 8 on this very subject. Check it out here: MacGyver Dynamic Subtotals/SubFoots

Let us know if you make headway.

David

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Is this technique only available in 7.6.11 and later?

And the MID is not always a certain length, that was just an example.

WebFOCUS 8.0.08
Solaris
HTML, PDF, XLS, CSV

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It will work in any version of WebFocus/Focus.

This particular verison of the technique will leave blanks rows above/below the Subfoots/Subtotals. Our business requirement asked that the blank rows be removed. While there are techniques of varying complexity that remove blank rows found here on Focal Point, 7.6.11 offers the new SET command DROPBLNKLINE=ON which easily does it.

In your shop, though, the blank rows may be ok.

Regarding MID , the number of break values and whether that number is dynamic and unknown, or known and relatively small will help in determining if this technique would be useful for you.

If your example MID will always have, let's say 4 break values, and you know those 4 values will always be 0001, 0002, 0003, and 0004, then it may be easier to code defines and computes and add as spot marked prefixed fields in subfoots and footings.

If the number of break values is dynamic based on any number of prior parental sorts, selection criteria, etc then this technique should be for you.

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post