Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Agents Remain "In Use" for Days -- any way to quietly move them into the next world?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Agents Remain "In Use" for Days -- any way to quietly move them into the next world?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I have a big WF/WF Maintain install and the Reporting Server is just taking everything we can throw at it. Just working like a dream.

Except for this one little thing. Occasionally a job will remain in the "in use" state at the end of a run. It seems to be while running all sorts of different things and to be fair we're running some pretty hairy test routines on it that don't always come to a graceful conclusion.

MY QUESTION IS THIS -- Is there a setting on the reporting server that will tell an "in use" agent to quietly die after 48 hours? The nature of our work is that no one should ever have a session run more than 10 hours, so anything more than two days old would be a candidate for deletion.

I've increased the number of agents and that allows the server to run for an exceptionally long period of time without interruption (apparently weeks) but at some point I will not be on this job site and I'd like it to clean up after itself.

J.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
idle_session_limit = number of seconds (-1 means unlimited)

Internal default: unlimited

This keyword is part of the general workspace features provided in the scope of an agent service. It defines the time limit that connected agents will wait for client input before they are disconnected.

Try this one. It is in the Configuration/Data Services/Default section of the reporting server console.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post

Yeah, I've hesitated because the agent's state isn't idle. But there's only one way to find out, huh?

I'll let you know.

J.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post

I don't see any change when I set that value. The server may not clean up very often so I will let this run and check again later.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you tell if it is in a loop, a trace perhaps? I only mention this because you said the agent isn't really idle.

Also, you didn't mention whether this was a MAINTAIN agent or a reporting agent. If the former, is it not closing iteself properly?

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post

Some of each Maintain and simple FOCUS commands. There's the remains of some really hairy focexecs but I'm not surprised by those. No loops, no execution time being used.

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
John,

We have a similar situation and I am resorting to using VBScript to query the process object class to interogate the various threads of each tscom3 process.

It's still in the early stages but hopefully, when all is done, it will identify those processes that are over a certain period of "execution" time and will not only kill the process but tidy up the EDATEMP folder afterwards.

At the moment I am short of matching threads to resources but with time I am hopeful Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

Our iWay people reviewed this one and suggest that this one should be addressed by a case with Information Builders' Customer Support Services, as we will need to gather your traces and logs for review. You may either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post