Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Join two hold files
 Login/Join

posted
Im trying to join two hold files but the fields of join have different format The 1st one is P4 and 2nd one is A2V so i converted the first one by using the fuction PTOA to alphanumeric and i joined my new define with the second but when i run my report i have this error message :

WebFOCUS was called with an invalid request.

Thank you in advance.

WebFOCUS 8.0

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Please share your code, it will help us to help you (insert between [code ] tag)

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two hold file HF_Q_YTD & HF_Q_AMOUNT

I want to join the field Var_VIM with VIOL_VIM

The format of the fileds is:

VIOL_VIM/A2V

Var_VIM/A4=PTOA( DWH_ACQ.FINPROCESSING_DATE.MONTH_NO , '(P4)' ,'A4') ;

*This is the join :

JOIN LEFT_OUTER
HF_Q_YTD.HF_Q_YTD.Var_VIM IN HF_Q_YTD
TO MULTIPLE HF_Q_AMOUNT.HF_Q_AMO.VIOL_VIM IN HF_Q_AMOUNT

WebFOCUS 8.0

Expert
posted Hide Post
You should make your formats exactly the same.

I would also suggest not converting the P4 to alpha, but the A2V to P4 for the join.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
You should make your formats exactly the same.

I would also suggest not converting the P4 to alpha, but the A2V to P4 for the join.

How can i convert from A2V to P4 ??

WebFOCUS 8.0

Gold member
posted Hide Post
To join 2 hold files, the key fields should be in same format(type and length both) and both the hold files should be sorted on the key fields.

Thanks,
Pravin Singh

WebFOCUS 7703
Windows, All Outputs
pravinsinghwebfocus.blogspot.com

Posts: 51 | Location: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 | Registered: June 19, 2014Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Adbess,

If VIOL_VIM may contain characters other than just numbers you must convert Var_VIM to a /A4 and VIOL_VIM to also /A4. However, if it contains only numbers, converting both in number can make JOIN more efficient.

Can be something like:
DEFINE FILE ABC
VIOL_VIMD/D4 = EDIT(VIOL_VIM);
VIOL_VIMP/P4 = VIOL_VIMD;
END

But both must have the same length and format; it is the key to solve your issue.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It contains only numbers, so i will try to test your solution and i will let you know of the result.

Thanks.

WebFOCUS 8.0

posted Hide Post
I launch the report after the update on deferred But i didnt have the result it shown Unknown.

I tried to schedule it and ihave this error message : Task error: local error
No report to distribute.

Any idea ??

FYI: I dont have any more the error message : "WebFOCUS was called with an invalid request"
after the update that told me Mr MartinY.

WebFOCUS 8.0

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does the report execute properly outside ReportCaster ? It's always a good idea to insure that report does York properly by itself prior to add it the a schedule or dashboard per example.

What is your code ?

Does it produce a report or just a hold file ?
If the result of the execution is a hold file and not a report, ReportCaster will gives you that error because it assume that he must return a report. Change schedule Advanced Setting to not display error or add a fake report as the last step.

In Focus since 2007

posted Hide Post
It's a document and contain 7 hold files and the document sould generate a excel file with many pages & reports.

Before the update of join the document was generated normaly but the data was incorrect that's why we have to add this join

WebFOCUS 8.0

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Repeating my question :
quote:
Does the report execute properly outside ReportCaster ?

Process step by step to find where it stop working. Rerun adding one step at the time outside Caster.

In Focus since 2007

posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the report execute properly outside ReportCaster ?

No i have the same result.

WebFOCUS 8.0

posted Hide Post
I checked the SQL and i found that we have a problem with conversion of the defines to SQL :

FOC2590 - AGGREGATION NOT DONE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON:
FOC2565 - THE OBJECT OF BY/ACROSS CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO SQL
FOC2566 - DEFINE Var_Vim1_D CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO SQL
FOC2576 - COMBINATION OF PARAMETERS OF FUNCTION EDIT CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO SQ

WebFOCUS 8.0

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is not an error.

It's just a warning telling you that SQL cannot proceed with Var_Vim1 because it is a Focus variable that will take effect and exist only in the internal matrix.

Var_Vim1 is not a field that exist in the source table so SQL cannot work with it. This is what it's happen with variables uses in DEFINE, COMPUTE, BY TOTAL COMPUTE and WHERE TOTAL that doesn't exist in the source.

Your error is somewhere else...

In Focus since 2007