Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Number of Lines per page in HTML output

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Number of Lines per page in HTML output
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello all,

I am running a report that returns over 61,000 rows. Since it is starting to get to Excel's limit, I am changing the output to HTML. However, when I run, it only displays 14 lines before it breaks. I have no breaks in my report. I want it to all run together with just a report heading (and would prefer if the column titles didn't repeat.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Kevin

Expert
posted Hide Post
Try
SET LINES=999999

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Excel's row limit is much higher than that (somewhere around a couple million rows) so it shouldn't even be an issue. Returning that many records to a browser is going to be an issue as well. Unless you have some huge amount of memory, it's going to take a long time to download and may cause your system to slow because of the amount of memory the browser will use. You might want to look into the WEBVIEWER functionality if you go the HTML route.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This previous post has some excellent ideas to automatically go into a new excel tab when ever the row limit reaches the 64k limit.

Remember, the 64k limit is PER TAB, not for the entire spreadsheet.

http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/1521088292 

Sandeep Mamidenna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
in html, SET LINES = 998 is the max
above that, and the concept breaks down, and goes backto the default, which is something like 60...
why..nobody knows.
it just does
zut alors.
If you SET STYLEMODE = PAGED
you'll have some interesting results in html, might work for you.

When you say 'it breaks', do you mean it busts or it page-breaks?
remember, page breaks count heading and footing lines as well,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susanah: "and goes backto the default, which is something like 60... why..nobody knows. it just does". I know why... Remember the Old Green Bar Days? There were 66 lines per page. The "normal" page kept 3 lines for top and bottom "margins"... Now, I know that that dates me a bit... But: Those Were the Days My friend...

Just some "food for thought" about the limits of Excel:
1) The "old" 64k (65,536) and the "new" somewhere around a couple million rows.
2) A counter can be setup to be incremented every 64k records and it can be used as a primary sort field for bursting the output into separate tabs. Of course this eliminates a proper sorting within Excel as the sort will not span tabs.
3) The "somewhere around a couple million rows" came into effect with Excel 2007, right? So, it depends what version of Excel the end-user has.
4) The number of lines, &LINES, could be checked to, conditionally change the output from Excel to HTML or a file which can be imported into something like MS Access. I did this a while ago and they thought it was Great!

I hope this helps

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
the question isn't why does it revert to 60...
the question is why does it revert AT ALL when lines > 998

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone want to receive a HTML page with over 61000 rows? Maybe it's time to review the purpose of this report.

WF 7.1.6 moving to WF 7.7, Solaris 10, HTML,PDF,XL

Posts: 83 | Location: Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center | Registered: April 17, 2003Report This Post