Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] Initial Dashboard Load Slow

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Initial Dashboard Load Slow
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have a dashboard with 6 panels run off a calendar control. When I change dates the 6 panels coming back inside 3 seconds.

When I first go into the dashboard it takes over 20 seconds. If I go in, leave and back it takes 5 seconds as long as I am in the same browser session.

Does anyone have any ideas at areas I can look at to speed the initial load of the dashboard?

Fernando

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fernando,

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I have previously resolved the problem of dashboards running slowly by using Report Caster to run nightly jobs and create hold files. We created fexes for graphs and charts to run against the hold files and performance was much improved. Good dashboard design should dictate that the data would load as quickly as the browser. Sorry that these details are not more more specific but, I no longer have access to the actual fexes.

809 DevStudio, MRE, Report Caster , Report Library
Output: Excel PDF, HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Fernando, is it possible there's something loading into BI Dashboard when you start the browser session, some Java stuff or an XML file for the calendar? Subsequent dashboard activity uses the browser cache - just an idea...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Geoff,

The fexes run quickly. I can prove it by changing a date and get data back quickly.

The dashboard loads quickly if I am going into it a second time. It's the first time that I go in that very slow.

Fernando

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
How long does it take to load if you log in a second time if you close the original browser?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
It takes just as long to load a second time if I close the browser. It only goes quickly the second if you are in the same browser.

It is also slow if one browser opens and then a second browser opens. Both are slow.

Fernando

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

That is possible. If it is the case, how can I speed that up? I tried to load the dashboard off a hidden iframe on the home page, but does not help. Perhaps it something to do with the iframe belonging to a seperate session.

Fernando

Expert
posted Hide Post
Examine what's happening in each of the six panels.

Are you working with Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista? Isn't that the worst combination in the world?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The improved performance is due to the hold file being located internally (not crossing domains). Are you having to validate when you open up a new session with you dashboard? Is there security attached to the database you are querying your dashboard from?

809 DevStudio, MRE, Report Caster , Report Library
Output: Excel PDF, HTML

Guru
posted Hide Post
Goeff,

The database does have security, so maybe some caching happening there. The dashboard also has security thru active diirectory and IIS and tomcat via the documentation on trusted authenticating. Maybe some caching there.

I've asked one our network guys to help me with some tracing on that end.

Fernando

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I haven't had to endure that combination. You have that and WebFOCUS 5.3. Odd combination there.

Fernando

Guru
posted Hide Post
Solution,

We had a java program that was gathering the user group. The server it was on was decomissioned. Reconfiguring solved the issue.

Fernando