Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] Menu system and chaining static controls (HTML COMPOSER)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Menu system and chaining static controls (HTML COMPOSER)
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I don't want to be closed minded on this topic. I guess what I would like to do is set up a menu system using html files in Dev studio controlled by hyperlinks or something clickable. The menu would be accessible from any of the html pages.

With several items in the menu, just putting a bunch of hyperlinks in isn't going to cut it. I was hoping to have the user select a certain area and then show reports in that area maybe in a drop down list. Is there a way to put hyperlinks inside a control to open up another html file or am I approaching this the wrong way. I would like to limit the Javascript as much as possible. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I use a technique called a "router". The code in the router.fex looks something like this:

-GOTO &Report.EVAL

-EXIT

-RPT01;

-INCLUDE report01.fex

-EXIT

-RPT02;

-INCLUDE report02.fex

-EXIT
-RPTNN;

-INCLUDE reportnn.fex

-EXIT

Now, on the HTML page, create a dropdown list with static values, such as:

VALUE:     DISPLAY:
RPT01      My First Report
RPT02      The Second Report
RPTnn      The last and final report

Link this dropdown list to the amper variable &Report, and set up the button to run the router.

No hyperlinks, no java script required, FOCUS does it all Big Grin

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What we did is store the "display name", the HTML and FEX for the link in a database. Then we generated a drill down report with the html and fex name hidden (NOPRINT) and a hyperlink on the text name of the report, it called a program that simply did
-HTMLFORM &HTML. We also stored the menu name an a column number, setting that in a called routine that created each report, that way we can have one report on multiple menus, and multiple columns on one launch screen.

Posts: 17 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: January 22, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies. Rfbowley, that is exactly what I was looking for. In the menu, I would like to have the user select a static value(department) which would then chain all the reports in that department and then it would call the router code. I have never chained a static list like this and I am running into trouble.

I created a test file to mock the chaining. The two drop downs I am using have the exact same values in them. All that is in the procedure are the parameters in quotes. How can I chain these two drop-downs so that when one value is selected in the parent, that is the only value in the child.

With this setup it appears now chaining is taking place at all. Am I doing something wrong?

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META id=mycharsetmeta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META id=Generation content="Created in release 7703, Generation 3.0">
<SCRIPT id=IBI_RelCallBack type=text/javascript>function AdjustChildrenPosition(){
}
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_OptionsScript type=text/javascript>
var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls3";

var rltdyncalendar = "rltdyncalendar";
var gmap = "ibigmap";
var olap="olap";
var olappanebase="olappanebase";
var olapdrill="olapdrill";

var ibixmltree="ibixmltree";

var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls);
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nls type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nls.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nlsVars type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nlsvars.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigbl type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigblloadCss type=text/javascript>
ibigblloadCss(null);
addIntlTranslatedJS("composertrans.js");
</SCRIPT>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {

UpdateData();

// TODO: Add your event handler code here
//add onInitialUpdate() function to make changes before initial run of the reports
}
//End function window_onload
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT for=window type=text/javascript eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" nextelementuniquenumber="8" thumbnailscale="4" elementtype="21" edaconnectionrequired="true">   
<FORM style="Z-INDEX: 1; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 361px; HEIGHT: 470px; TOP: 0px; LEFT: 0px" id=form1 onsubmit="OnExecute(this);return false;" method=post tempheight="125" tempwidth="361" fexlist_list="report1" requests_list="0" form_newline_chain="1" default_slider_type="4" form_type="1"
 form_prompt_location="1" form_number_of_visible_rows="4" form_number_of_columns="4" vert_dist_between_controls="10" form_hor_dist_between_controls="10" form_dist_between_desc_and_input="10" name="form1">
<LABEL style="Z-INDEX: 8; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 69px; HEIGHT: 19px; CURSOR: default; TOP: 80px; LEFT: 60px" id=label1 tabIndex=7 for=combobox1 name="combobox1">department</LABEL> 
<SELECT style="Z-INDEX: 9; POSITION: absolute; OVERFLOW-Y: visible; WIDTH: 230px; OVERFLOW: visible; TOP: 110px; LEFT: 60px" id=combobox1 tabIndex=8 size=1 defaultlocation="0,0,22,30" boundtovariable="1" requiredfield="1" defaultselection="1" persistentuniqueid="compUid_7" name="combobox1"> 
<OPTION selected value=ar noinput="0" displaytext="ar">ar</OPTION> 
<OPTION value=ye noinput="0" displaytext="ye">ye</OPTION></SELECT> 
<LABEL style="Z-INDEX: 10; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 38px; HEIGHT: 19px; CURSOR: default; TOP: 180px; LEFT: 60px" id=label2 tabIndex=9 for=combobox2 name="combobox2">report</LABEL> 
<SELECT style="Z-INDEX: 11; POSITION: absolute; OVERFLOW-Y: visible; WIDTH: 230px; OVERFLOW: visible; TOP: 210px; LEFT: 60px" id=combobox2 tabIndex=10 size=1 defaultlocation="0,0,22,30" boundtovariable="1" requiredfield="1" defaultselection="1" persistentuniqueid="compUid_8" name="combobox2"></SELECT> 
<INPUT style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: none; Z-INDEX: 2; POSITION: absolute; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender; WIDTH: 140px; HEIGHT: 22px; TOP: 443px; LEFT: 5px" id=form1Submit tabIndex=1 value="Display Report" size=71 type=submit name="submit1"> 
<INPUT style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(htmlpathsub/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/reset.gif); Z-INDEX: 3; POSITION: absolute; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender; WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; HEIGHT: 22px; TOP: 443px; LEFT: 150px" id=form1Reset tabIndex=2 value=" " type=reset StyleBack_UserSuppliedFullPath="1" name="reset1">   
<SPAN style="Z-INDEX: 6; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: center; WIDTH: 180px; HEIGHT: 20px; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; TOP: 20px; LEFT: 10px" id=text1 tabIndex=5>Select a report</SPAN>  </FORM>
<IFRAME style="Z-INDEX: 7; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 770px; HEIGHT: 300px; TOP: 0px; LEFT: 410px" id=report1 tabIndex=6 src="" elementtype="2" requests_list="0" autoExecute="false" name="report1"></IFRAME>   
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=layoutinfo type=hidden resourcectrlids="form1Reset">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibiapp_app value=josh_hapner type=hidden name="ibiapp_app">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibic_server value=EDASERVE type=hidden isdataserversarea="1" name="ibic_server">
<xml id=focus_xmlelement>
<script type="text/xml" nextelementuniquenumber="22">

<rootxmlnode focoption="_FOC_NULL" top="100" left="10" width="150" height="130">

<variables>

<variable controltype="7" parametercreatedinreslay="0" type="unresolved" desc="department" name="department" default="" textvarname="" accept="0" select="0" create="1" chainedcontrol="1" top="70" left="30" width="60" height="20" inbinding="1">

<link linktype="default" from="compUid_7" persistentuniqueid="compUid_21">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="4" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0">

<data_info checkForDuplicateValues="0" displayfield="department" datafield="department" datasource="" datatype="0" selectedvalue="" operation="" slider_range_from="" slider_range_to="" previewvalue="" sourcetype="typeMaster" linktype="none"></data_info></condition></link>

<requestid id="0"></requestid></variable>

<variable controltype="7" parametercreatedinreslay="0" type="unresolved" desc="report" name="report" default="" textvarname="" accept="0" select="0" create="1" top="70" left="140" width="60" height="20" inbinding="1">

<link linktype="default" from="compUid_8" persistentuniqueid="compUid_20">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="4" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0">

<data_info checkForDuplicateValues="0" displayfield="report" datafield="report" datasource="" datatype="0" selectedvalue="" operation="" slider_range_from="" slider_range_to="" previewvalue="" sourcetype="typeMaster" linktype="none"></data_info></condition></link>

<requestid id="0"></requestid></variable></variables>

<input_controls>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_7" elementtype="8" name="combobox1" id="combobox1" multiple="0" inbinding="1" top="20" left="30" width="60" height="20" onetimepopulated="1">

<link linktype="default" persistentuniqueid="compUid_18">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0">

<data_info checkForDuplicateValues="0" datatype="0" datasource="" addalloption="0" sourcetype="typeMaster" cacheruntimedata="0" accept="0" operation="NONE" modifiedrequest="0">

<static_values>

<static value="ar" display="ar" selected="1" noinput="0"></static>

<static value="ye" display="ye" selected="0" noinput="0"></static></static_values></data_info></condition></link></input_control>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_8" elementtype="8" name="combobox2" id="combobox2" multiple="0" top="20" left="140" width="60" height="20" inbinding="1" onetimepopulated="0">

<link linktype="default" from="compUid_7" persistentuniqueid="compUid_19">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="1" conditionmultiselectoperator="0" resolveparameterfq="report" resolveparameter="report">

<data_info checkForDuplicateValues="0" datatype="0" datasource="" addalloption="0" sourcetype="typeMaster" cacheruntimedata="0" accept="0" operation="NONE" modifiedrequest="0">

<static_values>

<static value="ar" display="ar" selected="1" noinput="0"></static>

<static value="ye" display="ye" selected="0" noinput="0"></static></static_values></data_info></condition></link></input_control></input_controls>

<other_bound_objects></other_bound_objects>

<requests nextrequestsid="0">

<request requestid="0" targetname="report1" ibif_ex="report1" targettype="iframe" sourcetype="typeAdhocfex" activereport="0" compoundreport="0" reportcolumns="" reportrealcolumns="" ibiapp_app="">

<![CDATA[-*focexectool
'&department'
'&report']]></request></requests></rootxmlnode></script>
</xml></BODY>
<SCRIPT id=IBI_loader type=text/javascript>
doBeforeLoad();
</SCRIPT>
</HTML> 

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
Ok, guess I just figured it out myself. In "Chaining Controls for Dependencies in the HTML Composer" on the initial page in the notes, it says:
  • If using static controls, you must apply conditions for each link in the chain. Conditions need to be created for each value of the control chained from, and those values must be mapped to the correct value(s) that will be displayed in the control that it is being chained to.

I had to use a "populate with alternate, show" condition for each value and it worked.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
FYI for those viewing this topic. If you want to use an html instead of a fex, you use -HTMLFORM instead of -INCLUDE. You can specify the hyperlink properties for the submit button to open things up in the same window or a new window. Really, you can create the menu how you like.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs