Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] TABLE FILE from comma delimited file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] TABLE FILE from comma delimited file
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
What is wrong with my code? I'm trying to query information from a comma delimited file on a shared folder:

SET PCOMMA=ON
FILEDEF MYFILE DISK //HORSEISLAND/NETSHARE/MEDICAL/OOQ/SOLUTIONSWORLD/TEST/MYFILE.TXT
TABLE FILE MYFILE
PRINT *
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mark1,

Windows version 768

Expert
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't your slashes be \ instead of /.

What happens, what error message or results ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I get the FILE MYFILE CANNOT BE FOUND. But I can see it there with windows explorer.

Windows version 768

Expert
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Master set up to read "MYFILE"?

Is this a file allocation error or a filre read error? What's your &FOCERRNUM?

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I get this error:

0(FOC205) THE DESCRIPTION CANNOT BE FOUND FOR FILE NAMED:
No data description can be found for the file requested. Check the
Master File Descriptions allocated or available, or the spelling of
the file name. If you are in Screen Painter, type IGNore to
continue, or any other input to return to TED.

I thought you could read in a text file and query from it without creating a master file.

Windows version 768

Expert
posted Hide Post
WebFOCUS requires a master for any file.

It is needed so WF knows what format the file is and therefore what module to call to read it.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Nope. Part of the "magic" of WebFOCUS is in the Master File Description. Any data read done through WebFOCUS will require a Master file description. You can create one "on the fly" in your fex (which there are many examples of in the forum) but it's recommended to create an MFD which can be re-used and you'll also need a FILEDEF in your code or a DATASET declaration in the MFD that points to the actual data file.

(No, SQL passthru doesn't require an MFD, but there is not SQL passthru for COM files.)

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The interesting thing about SQL passthrough is that it uses the structure of the returning data to build a master (SQLOUT), which TABLE FILE needs.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks! I appreciate the help.

Windows version 768