Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     auto run a report when an html page opens

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
auto run a report when an html page opens
 Login/Join

posted
I have an html page that I created in HTML layout painter that has 1 button and 1 frame. When the user clicks the button it runs a report in the frame. How can I get the report to run with default values as soon as the html page opens. I saw another thread on this but there really was no answer to it.

PROD: WF 7.1.3 on Win 2003/IIS 6/Self-Serve & MRE
TEST: We dont need no Stinking Test Server!

Expert
posted Hide Post
we donneedno steeenkeeeng test server..
i like that!
i can't rememeber the movie.
anyway
you can run a fex directly from a hyperlink, default values for all the parms.
eg, i have a navig frame , a launch page frame, and a main report area frame..
the links in the navig frame both load the appropriate launch page, and run a default version of the report. If the user wants more/different, they can pick parms from the launch page and knock themselves out.
here's what the link looks like:
<a onMouseOver="window.status='nice message goes here'; return true"
onMouseOut="window.status=' '; return true"  

href="http://servername/cgi-bin/ibi_cgi/webapi.dll?IBIF_ex=fexname&PARM1=VALUE1&PARM2=VALUE2&PARM3=VALUE3" 
 target="main" 
onClick="parent.banner.location='launchpagename.asp'">my report title</a>

ah..wait...Treasure of the Sierra Madre? no..no Blazing Saddles !

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Is this a self serve application? We do this all the time using the onload feature.
Which means, as soon as this frame finishes loading, it will automatically call the procedure in the second frame. This way, you can have it load the "default" report right away. Here you are also free to pass variables if you want as well.

we put this in the body tag.

ONLOAD="parent.Frame2.location='/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIF_ex=FEXPROGRAM'"

Hope this solves your problem

Leo

Posts: 96 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: January 22, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
hmmm. nice , Leo!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I thought of the onLoad event trigger as well, but if the program that automatically runs comes back to the same screen, the user will not be able to change parameters and resubmit the report, because the onLoad will run again... (I think I'm explaining that correctly.)

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
if I understand correctly, your saying the 2 frames "talk" to each other? And therefore an onload would cause a sort of "loop" one way?

In our system, we have the concept of 1 frame being the "selection" frame and the other frame being the "display" frame. So we really only need to send the information 1 way. The selection frame has all the options the user can choose, he hits submit and all that information is sent to the display frame.
The onload is then only loaded once (which is the first time the selection frame is loaded).

Leo

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.6.4 - Self Service - Windows Server2003 - Apache Tomcat 5.5
Dev: WebFOCUS 7.6.4 - Self Service - Windows XP SP2 - Apache Tomcat 5.5

Posts: 96 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: January 22, 2004Report This Post
<JJI>
posted
Wilky,

Leo is right it's that simple. Or you can do it also like this with a java script:

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
< !--
function loadmenu() {
IBI_random=Math.random()*Math.random()*Math.random()*100 ;
loadurl="http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/ibi_cgi/ibiweb.exe?IBIF_ex=fhsubmen&IBI_random="+IBI_random
parent.frames[1].location.href=loadurl

}
// -->

Then in the Body tag code: onload="loadmenu()"

Have fun Smiler

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
susannah: We Dont need no Stinking Badges Good One

Francis Your are correct in that it does run the report, but half of the parms that do a lookup don't work and no buttons work. Frowner

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Do you only have 1 frame in your html page which the button and "report" are both showing in the same page?

posted Hide Post
Yes there is only 1 frame!

There is a button with 2 selection drop downs.

when the user clicks the button the report runs in the frame below the selection criteria and button.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
the report runs in the frame below the selection criteria and button

So if I understand correctly, When the user hits the "button" the form then calls a fex program which then replaces the frame with a new page that contains the drop downs, the button and the report?

Also, you said in an earlier response that the report does run but half the parms lookup don't work? Could it be that you are not passing the variables in the call?

Expert
posted Hide Post
You say there is only one frame, but then you mention the report runs "in the frame below". Is this an iFrame?

The Submit button must do more than just Submit, it must be running some JavaScript as well. The onLoad must do everything that the Submit button does.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
we donneedno steeenkeeeng test server..
i like that!
i can't rememeber the movie.

ah..wait...Treasure of the Sierra Madre? no..no Blazing Saddles !

Susannah,

Depending on how old you are will determine which movie you remember this from. I saw Sierra Madre long after I saw Blazing Saddles and did not realize that quote was originally from Sierra Madre until I saw it.

There is also one more pun of this line in the movie Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (the first one) in which a character says "We don't need no stinkin badgers" (meaning the animal).

By the way, I got a laugh out of the TEST SERVER statement too. We might all be FOCUS geeks but we still have a sense of humor!

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post