Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Automatically printing PDFs generated with Caster jobs

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Automatically printing PDFs generated with Caster jobs
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I apologize if this is an off-topic, but the issue relates to Caster output and I wanted to see if any of you have a better alternative to what we are doing.

We currently have multiple variations of a specific report being generated in PDF format via daily Report Caster jobs. From what I understand, Caster can only send 'post-script' format files to the printer directly for printing. I cannot re-do the report to any other format, due to some internal restrictions.

The work-around we came up with is to FTP-distribute the Caster job PDF output files to a specific folder on the server. We then put in a seperate DOS batch utitlity to run late nights to print all files that are in the FTP'd folder that night.

Our print-shop operator is now having an issue with the print jobs he is getting to the printer. All the jobs have the same "Windows Print job" label on them. The original file names in the FTP folder are not being retained, and he needs to see the real file name to determine the kind of binding/cover-page to be inserted for the report after printing.

Can you all advise of other ways to print PDF output from Caster ? Any help regarding batch-DOS script printing utilities would also be highly appreciated. The first part of the name for all the files is the same. The second part of the name differentiates the binding format for the printer operator.

Thank you all for your input.
Sandeep Mamidenna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of MS
WF.76-10 on (WS2003 + WebSphere) / EDA on z/OS + DB2 + MS-SQL
MRE, BID, Dev. Studio, Self-Service apps & a dash of fun !! Music

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Sandeep,

How would your print person see a print label in the first place? In others words, if you printed directly from windows do they see the filename?

If you printed one file from DOS manually in the same way you do the multiple files does "Windows Print job" appear?

If yes above, perhaps you could set the label via the DOS command line. Check the command line options for your print command using /? after it. Example: DIR /? shows what options you can add to the DIR command.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

<JG>
posted
Key question here is, What and Where is the printer that you are sending the output to.

Almost all Networked Windows prinnters understand PDF, We are missing some detail.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not understanding everything in your environment, this may not be relevant, but if your aim is a printed document, then if you generate a PS document and print or if you generate a PDF document and print, they are going to look identical. The only thing you've got to change is ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT PDF to ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT PS. You shouldn't need to change anything else, so there is no need to re-do anything. I just use and &var for the output type which I default to PDF and when I schedule the job in RC, I feed an alternate value of PS. Seems like a very long way around a problem that has a very simple solution. But as I said, I don't work there--

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Fernando - Opening the actual PDF on the server and hitting the Print button sends the name out correctly. It is only the DOS script that is sending a generic "Windows Print Job" label on to the printer console, irrespective of it being 1 or more files.

JG - The printer in question is one of those huge professional model Xerox printers that can print/bind etc. It is on the network and it is the only printer configured on the server which has the files.

The print jobs go wait in a queue. The print-shop operator reviews the files and releases them to be actually printed. This is where he is looking for a better file name, so he can determine the binding pattern.

The DOS print-PDF script was coded to loop and print all files in the FTP folder. The number of files varies each day.

Thank you all so much for your responses.
Please let me know if any more details are needed.

Sandeep Mamidenna

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 218 | Location: Jackson, MS | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Appreciate your response too Darin.
However, I cannot change the output format to PS as this is a Compound-PDF report with about 10 pieces.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We generate compound reports with PS output with 30-40 separate pieces. Have you tried it to see if it works or did you just assume that compound was only for PDF output?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I thought I tried Darin, but can you please explain how to put together Compound PS reports ?

That could be the solution I was looking for !!

<JG>
posted
From what you've said the issue is a naming convention one.

WebFOCUS can name the file anything you want when using HOLD
and/or you FILEDEF the final output.

Because you are using ftp to move the file to a directory for printing
the simple soluton would be

FILEDEF OUTPUT DISK THIS_PRINT_JOB_REQUIRES_FORM_1_YOU_STUPID_PRINT_OPERATOR_unique_qualifier.PDF

then ON TABLE HOLD AS OUTPUT FORTMAT PDF
then the ftp step.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
JG - The FTP-distribute facility in Caster is letting me give the correct file names when sending files to the server directory.

It is the batch-print process that is losing the file names while picking them up from the folder and sending it to the printer queue.

Sandeep Mamidenna

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I have not changed anything in the report except for the ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT line. As I stated before, I have a variable for the output format - &OUTPUT. I have -DEFAULT &OUTPUT='PDF' at the beginning so it always runs in PDF for normal requests, and ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT &OUTPUT in the table request. For the job scheduled in RC, I have set the value for that parameter (under the advanced tab - or whatever it is in the latest version) to PS and set the output type in RC to PS. No other changes to the code and it works identically for either output format.

In other words, use the same procedures for creating the compound report for PS as for PDF, then just parameterize the output format.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991