Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     (Solved) Emailing non-WebFOCUS output

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
(Solved) Emailing non-WebFOCUS output
 Login/Join

Master
posted
For reasons I won't go into here, we are developing a report using PLSQL. When a user requests the report the request will be written to a table in the database. We want to use Report Caster to schedule the job that processes the report requests. The job will run over night. I will use WebFOCUS to process the request(s) and run the PLSQL job. The output from the PLSQL job will be a PDF or RTF file. I know how to do all of this except how to I get the report to the users since WebFOCUS does not actually build the report. It there a way to have Report Caster email a report that WebFOCUS does not generate. (I know I could ftp the report, but we want to explore email).

Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jgelona,

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Report caster can schedule any file and then distribute it. The file can be obtained throught a URL, FTP, or from the file system if the distribution server has access to it.

Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I gave this some more thought and I think I am going to ftp the report file to the web server in a folder under ibi_html and email the user a link to the file.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
jgelona,

As you are on a windows OS you could build a VBScript file to utilise CDONTS and attach the file. If you have Report Caster you could use the server settings from there.

I use that method to email out Excel BYTOC files held on a network drive which you can not achieve using Report Caster.

I'll look out the code when next at work.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
jgelona, I do not recommend putting anything under the ibi_html alisa. It can make upgrading more difficult. I would use the approot alias instead.

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
jgelona,

This is some code that I use to use VB Script to email attachments on Windows using CDONTS / CDOSYS. Make sure you understand the code and the implications before you use it.

' ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
' Description : VB Script module to send emails with attachments using CDONT (Windows)
' Written By : Anthony Alsford EDATA Limited 05/01/2009
' Notes : This script MUST be executed from a machine that DOES NOT block certain
' ports via AntiVirus software or Firewall
' ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Error Resume Next
' First declare constants
Const cdoSendUsingPickup = 1
Const cdoSendUsingPort = 2 'Must use this to use Delivery Notification
Const cdoServerPort = 25
Const cdoAnonymous = 0
Const cdoBasic = 1 'clear text
Const cdoNTLM = 2 'NTLM
' Delivery Status Notifications
Const cdoDSNDefault = 0 'None
Const cdoDSNNever = 1 'None
Const cdoDSNFailure = 2 'Failure
Const cdoDSNSuccess = 4 'Success
Const cdoDSNDelay = 8 'Delay
Const cdoDSNSuccessFailOrDelay = 14 'Success, failure or delay
Const cdoIPAddress = nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn 'The IP address of your SMTP server
Const cdoEmail = yourname@yourdomain.etc 'The Email address you wish to use for send and return address
' Now Dim and set required objects
Dim fso, logfile, errfile
set fso = Wscript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set logfile = fso.CreateTextFile("E:\test_scripts\EMail.log")
set errfile = fso.CreateTextFile("E:\test_scripts\EMail.err")
' Set up the CDO configuration - the mail component needs to be achieved for each mail to be sent so is actioned later
set objConf = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
Set Flds = objConf.Fields
' Set the CDOSYS configuration fields to use port 25 on the SMTP server.
With Flds
  .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = cdoSendUsingPort
  .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = cdoIPAddress
  .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport")  = cdoServerPort
  .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = cdoNTLM
  .Item("urn:schemas:mailheader:disposition-notification-to") = cdoEmail
  .Item("urn:schemas:mailheader:return-receipt-to") = cdoEmail
  .Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpconnectiontimeout") = 10
  .Update
End With
' Set the body of the email - this should be split across lines to ensure that no line exceeds 1000 characters
strBody = "This is an automated Email - DO NOT RESPOND." & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & vbCRLF
strBody = strBody & "Regards" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF
strBody = strBody & "The PCC Team" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF
' Check to see that the file exists before trying to email it!
If fso.FileExists("drive:\fullpath\yourfilename.extn") Then
' Do something
  set objMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
  With objMsg
    Set .Configuration = objConf
    .To = somename@domain.com
    .From = cdoEmail
    .Subject = "The subject line"
    .TextBody = strBody
' use .HTMLBody to send HTML email.
    .Addattachment "drive:\fullpath\yourfilename.extn"
    .DSNOptions = cdoDSNFailure
    .Send
  End With
  If Err.Number <> 0 Then
    errfile.Write "Error sending Email"
    errfile.Write "Error: " & Err.Number
    errfile.Write "Error (Hex): " & Hex(Err.Number)
    errfile.Write "Source: " &  Err.Source
    errfile.Write "Description: " &  Err.Description
    Err.Clear
    logfile.Write "email transit error " & vbCRLF
  Else
    logfile.Write "email sent OK" & vbCRLF
  End If
  set objMsg = nothing
Else
  logfile.Write "file attachment does not exist " & vbCRLF
End If
If anyone uses this code then a donation to their local cancer charity would be very much appreciated.

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post