Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How to report column from 2 alternative tables

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How to report column from 2 alternative tables
 Login/Join

posted
I am running into a problem when trying to report data on a column that might come from two different tables. Here is my situation, I need to report for every VOUCHER in table GLTABLE the VENDOR name. The VENDOR name can be obtained from one of two tables, APOPEN or APHIST, depending if the voucher has been paid or not. See the tables below:
GLTABLE      APOPEN          APHIST
VOUCHER      VOUCHER         VOUCHER
             VENDOR          VENDOR

I am doing a Join between GLTABLE and APOPEN AND APHIST using VOUCHER.

GLTABLE -----> APOPEN    Both Left Outer Joins
        -----> APHIST

The desired report for this is as below.

Desired Report:

VOUCHER  VENDOR
1234	 CISCO      - FROM APOPEN 
1235      CISCO      - FROM APHIST      
1236      NORTEL     - FROM APHIST
1237      CISCO      - FROM APOPEN   

My initial approach was to create a DEFINE with something like:

REALVENDOR=IF APOPEN.VOUCHER IS MISSING THEN APHIST.VENDOR ELSE AOPEN.VENDOR

But the REALVENDOR is always showing empty...

Do you have any ideas on what approach I should take?

Thanks,

Rafael

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rafa,

Rafa

Posts: 9 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: March 09, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Please edit your post (click on the Folder icon, lower right), putting the column-sensitive data displays
       between   CODE   delimiters

(click on the red </> icon)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If GLTABLE has a field indicating a/p status (say APSTATUS = "OPEN" or "PAID"), this is all you need:
JOIN VOUCHER IN GLTABLE TO VOUCHER IN APOPEN AS OP:
JOIN VOUCHER IN GLTABLE TO VOUCHER IN APHIST AS PD:
DEFINE FILE GLTABLE
VENDOR/Axx= 
  IF (APSTATUS EQ 'PAID')
    THEN APHIST.VENDOR 
    ELSE APOPEN.VENDOR;
END  

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
With GL data one would expect a voucher to exist in either the open file or the hist file and not both, so you could easily use MATCH logic with OLD-OR-NEW.

In fact there are several methods to ahcieve what you want and some of them depend upon the RDBMS type of your source data files. For instance, if they are focus files and have the same layout you could effectively combine them using USE logic before the join.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input, It seems I figured it out.
The first thing I did was to make the join UNIQUE.
The second was to create a DEFINE APSTATUS as j.g. suggested. But since it is now available in table GLTABLE I used a define to define if the data is coming from OPEN or HIST. It looks like this

APSTATUS=IF APHIST.VOUCHER IS MISSING THEN 'OPEN' ELSE 'HIST';

All the best,
Rafael

Posts: 9 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: March 09, 2007Report This Post