Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] Public Dashboard is substituting blank spaces in URL

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Public Dashboard is substituting blank spaces in URL
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a link to an image on the Public Dashboard that is not working. I have discovered that the problem is due to the URL including %20 in place of every blank space. These spaces are necessary for the URL to work. I'm not sure why the public dashboard changes these spaces while the other dashboards do not. Is there a way around this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kathleen Butler,

WebFOCUS 768
OS/400
HTML, also quite a few active reports and excel.

Master
posted Hide Post
Hi Amber,

quote:
These spaces are necessary for the URL to work.

This surpises me. As far as I know an URL cannot contain spaces. Hence te replacement with %20 ( = 32 = ascii space ).

Greets,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It's called URL Encoding.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp

If the image has the space in it, can you resave it with a new name - without the space?

webFOCUS 8207.15
WindowsServer 2019

Posts: 120 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 26, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Any web server should automatically URL-decode escaped characters in an URL request, and thus would translate those %20 strings back to spaces before it matters.

Unless OS/400 handles URLs differently? If that's the case, you should really take it up with IBM (not that they'll listen...).

Of course, that assumes that the images you reference really are on the web-server and not somewhere else where URLs (and URL encoding) have no meaning.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
We are a IBM i workshop, but the values are passed as a html link to view RVI images. I'm not sure why they work in MRE, dev studio, and on all our other dashboards, but not on public. But they do, and with 4 spaces/padded (due to that index being right justified). So I guess the question is why does one work with spaces if its not suppose to.

WebFOCUS 768
OS/400

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Perhaps those spaces are at the tail of the URL?

When not URL-encoded, those trailing spaces get trimmed off the URL before the image file is looked up on the server.

When they are URL-encoded, I imagine that they would remain part of the file-name that's being looked up on the server.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
No. The spaces are somewhat in the middle of the URL. The index value that I am passing is A9, but the value in the field is right justified 5 characters. I believe I will have to make a work around for this. Inside our firewall, this works perfectly, but outside it replaces the blanks with 20%.

WebFOCUS 768
OS/400

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try coding the space as a plus sign (+). That should remain unchanged (=not subject to hex-style URL encoding) in the generated html, and the webserver should maps that to a space on the return trip.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post