Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] InfoAssist - Filter using data define field

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] InfoAssist - Filter using data define field
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I have been trying unsuccessfully for a few days now, to use a detail define field in a filter and get it to work. The need is to be able to apply a filter to look back 37 months (yes, 37!) in a data-set to only return those records with a date of service > 37 months ago. I actually got a WF developer (on our staff) to assist, but her suggestion didn't work either. I am thinking I may be looking at this the wrong way, so any assistance is appreciated.

To be as clear as I can...
I used the DATEADD function and it did work to bring back the date 37 months prior to the service date, so that part is ok. I can't get it to work as a filter...
Where Service Date > 37mos.

In the above case, the 37mos field is defined as: DATEADD(REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service,'M', -37)

I've also tried making a filter as an expression: REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service GT DATEADD ( REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service , 'M', -37)
but that didn't work either. I still receive all records in the file instead of just the ones I want. I know I could make a simple filter with the Date of Service > any date I enter, but the users don't want to have to do that. They want to be able to just look at anything from 37 months ago on the date they click Run.

Am I looking at this totally the wrong way?

Thank you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.0, Windows
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What's the DBMS?
What's the format of the date field in question?
Can you show us your code example?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The DBMS is Greenplum.
The date format is MDYY.
I am using InfoAssist. Is this what you want:
-*COMPONENT=Define_REMITTANCE
DEFINE FILE REMITTANCE ADD
today/A20=TODAY ( 'A10' ) ;
37monthsago1/MDYY=DATEADD ( &DATEMDYY , 'M' , -37 ) ;
37monthsago/MDYY=DATEADD ( REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service , 'M' , -37 ) ;
servicedate/A20=DATECVT ( REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service , 'MDYY' , 'A10' ) ;
37mos/MDYY=DATEADD ( REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service , 'M' , -37 ) ;
END
-DEFAULTH &WF_SUMMARY='Summary';
-DEFAULTH &WF_TITLE='WebFOCUS Report';
TABLE FILE REMITTANCE
-SET &SECTION='WHERE';
-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/Business_Views/Remittance.fex
BY REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Office_Acct_No
BY REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Provider
BY REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Remit_Locator_Code
BY REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Remit_Locator_County_Code
BY REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Remit_Locator_County_Name
BY REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Remit_Locator_Region_Name
BY REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Remit_Date
BY REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service
WHERE REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Status IN ( 'PAID' , 'VOID' );
WHERE REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service GT DATEADD ( REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Date_Of_Service , 'M', -37);
WHERE REMITTANCE.Remit_Recon.Remit_Rate_Code IN ( '3478' , '3479' , '3480' );
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL07
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET CACHELINES 100
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET SQUEEZE ON
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET HTMLENCODE ON
ON TABLE SET EMPTYREPORT ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=IBFS:/FILE/IBI_HTML_DIR/javaassist/intl/EN/ENIADefault_combine.sty,$
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT=&WF_TITLE.QUOTEDSTRING, SUMMARY=&WF_SUMMARY.QUOTEDSTRING, HFREEZE=OFF, $
ENDSTYLE
END

-* Begin MR Suffix -*
-SET &SECTION='SUFFIX';
-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/Business_Views/Remittance.fex
-* END MR Suffix -*
-RUN

WebFOCUS 8.0, Windows
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I created something off of the SQL Server Orders table below but it should work on GP as well. You should define the comparison field and use the field not the function on the WHERE test.

DEFINE FILE ORDERS
TOD/YYMD=&YYMD;
TOD_37/HYYMD=DATEADD(TOD,'M',-37);
END

TABLE FILE ORDERS
BY ORDERDATE
BY SHIPNAME
BY TOD_37
WHERE ORDERDATE LT TOD_37;
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
END

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pay attention on fact that Babak is using a YMD date which is "logically" ordered not a MDY which is not.

Consider the following dates in MDY

09012017 - current calendar month (as of 1 day of month)
09012016 - 12 months ago
09012015 - 24 months ago
09012014 - 36 months ago
08012014 - 37 months ago

If I do order the above from the lowest to the greatest is giving me :

Then, from your requirement you want all records that are greater than 37 months ago. In programing words (using my sample dates) : Date GT 08012014
This will result in selecting :

Which is wrong. 09022012 and 09032013 are not greater than August 1st 2014 and where are records from January and February 2017 ?

You have to pay attention when filtering from dates. I suggest to always use the logical format YMD or YYMD and compare with a date in the same format. Specifically when using a range.
I understand that MDY is the "natural" speaking/display English format but it is not giving a proper logical (time base) order.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Martin (and Babak)... I understand now why I am seeing everything. Since the data is in the MDYY format, I will first need to edit it to YYMD to get it to work. I will give this a try and let you know what happens.

WebFOCUS 8.0, Windows
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Suggestion: Always make sure your signature reflects the version of the product you are actually using. Alternatively, make sure you tell us what version you're dealing with.

posted Hide Post
Well, my first try failed, but I think I may know why. I'll keep trying.

Babak - your code is for App_Studio, yes? I am using INFOASSIST.

WebFOCUS 8.0, Windows
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I hand coded it but you can also paint it in InfoAssist. It'll look like this:

ENGINE INT CACHE SET ON
SET PAGE-NUM=NOLEAD
SET SQUEEZE=ON
SET HTMLENCODE=ON
SET HTMLCSS=ON
SET EMPTYREPORT=ON

-*COMPONENT=Define_orders
DEFINE FILE ibisamp/orders
 TOD/YYMD=&YYMD;
 TOD_37/HYYMD=DATEADD(TOD,'M',-37);
END
-DEFAULTH &WF_SUMMARY='Summary';
-DEFAULTH &WF_TITLE='WebFOCUS Report';
TABLE FILE ibisamp/orders
BY ORDERS.ORDERS.ORDERDATE
BY ORDERS.ORDERS.SHIPNAME
BY TOD_37
WHERE ORDERS.ORDERS.ORDERDATE LT TOD_37;
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET CACHELINES 100
ON TABLE SET GRWIDTH 1
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=IBFS:/FILE/IBI_HTML_DIR/ibi_themes/Warm.sty,$
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT=&WF_TITLE.QUOTEDSTRING, SUMMARY=&WF_SUMMARY.QUOTEDSTRING, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, $
ENDSTYLE
END

-RUN