Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Can one create HOLD requests within InfoAssist GUI?:

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Can one create HOLD requests within InfoAssist GUI?:
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hey all,

So, our site is trying to manage our advanced users by supplying them with InfoAssist to do their reporting, graphing, etc. so we can give them the ability to create reports, etc. without them being able to touch code. This to further secure our data and how it's accessed.

If our advanced users need only a subset of data from a synonym they have access to via InfoAssist, can they create a HOLD file/request somehow from that initial data source via the InfoAssist GUI? So, their reports/graphs/etc. can run within reasonable speeds?

Our issue is that we will have different advanced users utilizing InfoAssist that will have access to synonyms describing large data sets where they will only really need a smaller subset of that data for a specific need. Creating those subsets of data on the SQL side and then creating synonyms of those doesn't seem to be a possible solution due to the need for real time data, etc. Also, we need to be able to restrict our advanced users to specific synonyms and data. We don't want a synonym for financial, payroll or employee data just floating around for anyone to view from.

Can we set up our advanced users to either create these subsets of data somehow via the InfoAssist GUI or allow them to edit the code for their reports via the web interface but not be able to make requests from synonyms we don't want them accessing?

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, solutions are appreciated! Thanks everyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We have started using restrictions specified in the master files.

In the end it adds some extra SQL to the calls to restrict the scope of the data that can be retrieved.

Take a look at Master File Profiles

Although ours goes a little further than the example.

Examples can be added with the Applications/Tutorials and selecting WebFOCUS Retail Demo and Data Security of enterprise or tenant

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waz,

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Waz,

Thanks for the heads up! Will look into the .mas profiles for sure! Note: Your link takes me to a doc on creating HTML5 charts btw. haha Thanks though for the thought. Will try and find the real docs on it.

So, by restrictions within the .mas, are you able to set restrictions per user (IBIMR_user)? That would solve our problem if so.

Where does this SQL get added for restrictions on the scope of data that is accessible? I should probably find that link huh? lol

So, there are example for data security huh? Will look into that as well! Thanks for the insights!

Thanks Waz!

Update: Here's the good link: Master File profiles

Will dig in and see if this will work for us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'll update the other one.

Ended up that was a link to the "doco" and did a search inside, so the URL was going to be wrong.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No worries Waz. Thanks!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Waz,

quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
Examples can be added with the Applications/Tutorials and selecting WebFOCUS Retail Demo and Data Security of enterprise or tenant

So, I'm not seeing the "and Data Security" part when viewing available tutorials under Applications/Tutorials. There's "WebFOCUS - Retail Demo, WebFOCUS - Express Demo, WebFOCUS - State Population Demo, WebFOCUS - Star Schema with Variable Data, and WebFOCUS - Custom SQL Security Provider" as available tutorials. Which one has the example(s) for the Master File profiles? Is it the Retail Demo one despite it not saying "and Data Security" on the end of it?

Thanks!

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can one create HOLD requests within InfoAssist GUI?

Yes. Not very intuitive, but we do it all the time, now that we know how.

Select File under Format:

Provide a hold file name, but do not select a directory, unless your wanting to save it for good.

Click Create Report at the bottom.

Now you have your hold file you can create reports or graphs off of.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it the Retail Demo one despite it not saying "and Data Security" on the end of it?

On Create Tutorial Framework page, further down is the option "Data Security (DBA)"

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
GavinL,

THANK YOU! That solves this mystery/dilemma! I'm so glad you chimed in! Way good to know that it is possible via the GUI. IBI needs to make it more intuitive for their InfoAssist users for knowing where this is and what it actually does. The user is thinking "Where can I create a hold request of a subset of this data?" Format -> Destinations -> File doesn't scream "Hold this request." They just need to make it say "Hold Request" or "Hold" I think. My opinion though.

Have you tried creating multiple holds and then joining those holds via this method before GavinL? I need to see if that is possible too.

Waz,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I should of looked harder. Sorry.

So, when I choose the "Enterprise (by Product)" option from the Data Security (DBA) dropdown list, does that create the same tutorial files for let's say the WebFOCUS - Retail Demo tutorial but with slightly modified master files and the addition of the MFD_PROFILE procedures they reference than what would be created if I didn't have a security option selected and created the tutorial files for that demo?

Thanks for your time and help Waz!

I, again, appreciate both of your guys' help with these issues/concerns I've been trying to address!

Expert
posted Hide Post
We put the demo in wfretailsec app directory.

It creates a profiles sub directory with the "control" master/fex/sql files.

In dimensions/wf_retail_product.mas you will find the call to the profile with MFD_PROFILE=

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks Waz!

So, my assumptions were correct. Thank you for the additional info/insights!

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
GavinL,

THANK YOU!

You know, you can call me Gavin. GavinL. is just so formal.. :P

I've never attempted multiple holds then join them. I'm assuming you can, by selecting a folder when you create the hold tables, then under data tab, do a join. Just a guess though. Pretty swamped this week, so can't really test it.

- FOCUS Man, just FOCUS!
-----------------------------
Product: WebFOCUS
Version: 8.1.04
Server: Windows 2008 Server

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Gavin,

Will do from here on out! Sorry about the formality.

Oh no worries on testing it out. I can do that. I appreciate the thought though. Hope you have a successful rest of your work week!

Catch ya later man.