Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Dev Studio Editor
 Login/Join

posted
Currently to edit a focexec I can right click and select "Edit in Text Editor" or "Edit in Notepad". How can I add or change an option so that I can edit in something other than the Dev Studio editor or Notepad ? (UltraEdit for example)

Another question related to editors. We recently upgraded from 7.1 to 7.6 and I noticed a change in the "Find" tool in the Dev Studio editor. In 7.1 if you highlighted a word and clicked the Find icon, the Find dialog window would pop up with the highlighted word. In 7.6 the highlighted word is not in the dialog window. Also in 7.6 the "Find" ends at the end of the file instead of the "Find" restarting at the beginning.

Dev Studio 8.0.09
App Studio 8.2.01
DB2, FOCUS
PDF, HTML, Excel, CSV
In Focus since 1983

Posts: 26 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: August 22, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
check out this document.
http://www.informationbuilders.com/support/developers/ultraedit.html

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The prefilled search is back in 7.6.4 I'm not sure which point release you are at but we found it was there in 7.6.0 not there in 7.6.2 and is back in 7.6.4

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prarie:
check out this document.
http://www.informationbuilders.com/support/developers/ultraedit.html

Prarie, Thanks for your reply. I checked out this link but it seems to deal only with syntax highlighting and running focexecs in UltraEdit. I didn't see anything about editing with UE(instead of Notepad) within Dev Studio.

Dev Studio 8.0.09
App Studio 8.2.01
DB2, FOCUS
PDF, HTML, Excel, CSV
In Focus since 1983

Posts: 26 | Location: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: August 22, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
He has a link to some files you have to download so you can use UltraEdit while Editing.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Maybe this should be reported as a bug because the documentation leads one to believe DevStudio can use a different editor. One should be able to do the following and have it work.

• In DS, click on Window/Options and the DS Options window opens.
  • Go to External Tools tab and add Ultra Edit.
  • Then go to the General tab and select Edit in Windows registered tool.
  • Open Windows Explore, click on Tools/Folder Options
  • Click on the File Types tab
  • Change the file type for FEX from Notepad to UltraEdit.
  • Now go into UltraEdit and associate .fex with UltraEdit. Do this by clicking on Advanced/Configuration/File Associations. Type .fex in the File Types/Extensions window and click Add.

According to the help in DS, at least the way I read it, this should cause DS to use UltraEdit to edit FEX files. Now, when I right click on a fex in DS, my first option is Edit in UltraEdit, but when I select it, nothing happens.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jgelona,

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Have there been any changes that fix this bug to allow UltraEdit to be the editor?

Expert
posted Hide Post
I agree. its misleading. i wanted to use TextPad..
I was told by css it was local host only.
that didn't work either.
i never got it to work and just bailed.
I found that i could edit .htm in MSFrontPage, and then learned that that was because i had FrontPage set in Windows as the default htm editor, and only if its already selected as the default editor when you install devstu.
sigh.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If I am not using the Dev Studio GUI, and want to use Ultra-edit. I open Dev Studio work and stay at the "explorer view".

Then I also open Windows Explorer. I open the Focexec in Ultra-edit. I save the FOCEXEC. (There is no need to close Ultra-edit)

Then I change screens to Dev Studio, and run the Focexec from the epxlorer view.

I just keep changing windows to edit/save and run my changes.

Jim Morrow
Web Focus 7.6.10 under Windows 2003
MVS 7.3.3

Expert
posted Hide Post
My preferred editor outside of DS is Notepad++ and I cen execute any fex directly without going to DS. If I code my userid and PW in the URL (using IBIC_user and IBIC_pass) I don't even get the security page (signon). I also have one RUN command for each environment I have so it's easy to test a dev fex in production without moving or copying it.

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tony A,

Just to warn you, when you code your userid and password in the URL, then you password will be stored in plain text in the webservers log files.

Windows: WF 7.6.2: SQL Server 2008 R2

Posts: 86 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 03, 2007Report This Post