Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] What is the Max size of Focsort.foc

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] What is the Max size of Focsort.foc
 Login/Join

Master
posted
The documentation says, "FOCSORT, allocated as FOCSORT.FOC, may be required for sorting with the TABLE, TABLEF, and MATCH commands. The maximum size of a FOCSORT file is 1G of 256K pages."

Is that 1 billion pages with each being 256K in size? Isn't that 256 TB?

The reason I ask is that I have a very large job that is going to load over 3.5 million rows into 2 tables (7 million rows total). When FOCSORT gets over 4GB the process slows to a crawl.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jgelona,

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is this question regarding FOCUS on MVS?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
WebFOCUS on Linux

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Jgelona

2GB is the maximum size for focsort

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Chuck, if the limit is 2GB, then why does the file grow to over 5GB with no error or warning? Is FOCSORT a FOCUS file or XFOCUS file?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Jgelona

I was wrong the 2GB limit is for a FOCUS database. I thought focsort was a focus database but not sure now. focsort does not appear to have a limitation unless you specifically set it. https://techsupport.informatio...om/sps/91192526.html

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
John,
You say that you are loading 3.5 Mrows into a table.
What type of table?
Are these rows in a sequential file? In another table?
If the table is SQL, shouldn't you try some type of bulk loading?
If the table is FOCUS, are your rows pre-sorted so that you can use TABLEF?
Many questions.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
FOCSORT (in pre-WebFOCUS days) was structured as a FOCUS database, with a single segment (one segment per verb for a multi-verb TABLE request). The TABLE request essentially generated a CREATE to initialize the structure, and a MODIFY to update its contents for each incoming transaction row.

If the documentation now speaks of a 256K "pagesize", it sounds like they've gone to something along the lines of XFOCUS as the internal structure, but still basically a database of one or more segments, with segment pages and segment instances connected by pointers.

Either way, there is overhead in fitting the data into a page structure (pointers; dead space depending on segment size), so the effective capacity would be somewhat less than the stated filesize limit.

If your rows are not normalized, you may be able to squeeze the data into less FOCSORT space by using multiple verbs. The effect is to store the sort keys and object columns of the first verb in the top segment, the additional keys and verb objects of the second verb in the second segment etc. And, to add to Danny's points, have your data source pre-sort the data, even if the TABLE FORMAT is not FOCUS/XFOCUS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I believe the format is an XFOCUS file because one of my steps created a FOCSORT file of over 11GB. If it is an XFOCUS file, that would mean the size limit is around 16GB.

This data is being loaded into 2 Oracle tables but there is a lot of manipulation that has to take place before the data can be loaded. There are over 3.5 million rows in the input file with 17 text fields of varying length that have to get concatenated into a single text field. The 3.5 million rows are being reduced to 800K rows that will be inserted into the tables. The output from the manipulation process is a HOLD file that I do a -READFILE on and use SQL PASSTHRU to load.

What I found is that if there is an existing FOCSORT file in a single fex and once that FOCSORT file reaches about 4GB is size, the performance goes down the tubes for the following steps. I had to split my procedure into 7 procedures because just deleting FOCSORT at the appropriate time did not always work. This insures a fresh FOCSORT is created when necessary.