Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] report caster distribution FILE

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] report caster distribution FILE
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
FILE, not LIST.
not in the caster manual!!! go fig.
Has anyone ever used a DISTRIBUTION FILE?
Does it have to be in XML or what format?
Do I just specify 'appname/listname.ext' in the To: box? do I need to say 'on server EDASERVE':
Does this list just look like:
guy1@google.com
guy2@google.com
...etc

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I've used Distribution File.

So, if you want to BURST values to various emails, you set up a text file as follows:

email1@ibi.com,ENGLAND,$
email2@ibi.com,JAPAN,$

Then you point the To: to that file as in the following example:
C:\ibi\apps\restful_web_services\reportcaster_email_distribution.txt

Hope this helps.

Efrem

Posts: 229 | Location: New York | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Susannah

Efrem did provide a great example. The ReportCaster manual that you can download from the techsupport site does have a full chapter on distribution options including the distribution file.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Efrem, nice to see you. Two questions:

1. When you select Distribution File, the To: box does not have a "Browse" button like "Dynamic Distribution." Does that mean that RC will not check for the existence of the file at schedule creation time?

2. Can you mix BURST value email IDs with non-burst values (IOW, that address gets ALL output), or will that need to be separate schedules?

Thanks in advance.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Susannah,
With my quick test, ReportCaster does not check for the existence of the file when creating the schedule.
The error will show up in the log when running the schedule.

My suggestion for using the Distribution File to distribute the entire report to email addresses is to setup a separate schedule with the same Distribution File defined.
But, for the Task, you will need to uncheck Burst.

Efrem

Posts: 229 | Location: New York | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Wolff:
Susannah

Efrem did provide a great example. The ReportCaster manual that you can download from the techsupport site does have a full chapter on distribution options including the distribution file.

Chuck- great to see you here too; howz Retirement treating you?

The doc is a little lacking: does the distribution file have to be on the reporting server, or on the distribution server? Can it be called anything; is there a required file name/extension?

I am testing is I can mix burst and non-burst, but that information would also be nice.

Thanks for the assist.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Okay, I am going out on a limb, and making the following conclusions:

1. You cannot use one distribution list for burst and non-burst output; the doc strongly implies this with the following entries (8.0.09/10 manual): "To specify a record for a non-burst procedure, use the following format...To specify a record for a burst procedure, use the following format:" Not definitive, but hey.

This means that if you have data/reports/email that you want SOME values to be burst delivered, and other destinations to receive ALL copied, then you MUST have SEPARATE schedules to run the same job twice- once for burst addresses, and once for non-burst addresses. This seems, imho, wasteful and less than efficient. A CC option would handle this nicely.

2. Distribution file must be on the client box in a multi-tier directory: the doc states, when talking about automatically DELETED external Distribution files: "Create a blank text file named fileaddr.txt in the cfg directory under the ReportCaster installation directory." Again, this implies that non-automatically deleted files ALSO go somewhere on the client tier.

Again, we are currently 8.0.09- anything different in the newer releases?

Thanks, Folks.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah,

I know this is not the same release as you have in your signature, but the content is still relevant.
Distribution File

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Apologies, should also mention that you can specify the external file as [drive]:/ibi/apps/baseapp/distfile.txt or the like.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tony, thanks for the reply; hope all is well on your side of the pond. The doc link implies the Distribution file has to be where the client is installed. Your post implies that it may be on a server tier. Thanks for the assist.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Mr H,

Yes all is well here thank you although I've just heard about hurricane Irma in the Caribbean and so I'm concerned for folks in that region and the likely path of the storm Frowner

As for the document link, hmmm, conflicting information .... BAU then! Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
thanx T, didn't work.
using either forward slashes or backward.
stills says the file for the dist list does not exist. used full c: reference.
c:/ibi/apps/xsusantest/test_dlist_list.txt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
IDK if this will help or not. What we, use that works really well, is a Dynamic Distribution List. It grabs the email (and burst value if needed) from a database table that is maintained by someone else. That way we don't have to be in charge of updating a text file when email values change. Documentaion on this can be found here You can still use a tex file with this method, you would just need to make a master file from that text file and then create the distro list in a fex.

This gives you a browse button to find the file.

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
youre in 8
I'm in 7
you're creating a schedule using a dynamic list
I'm talking about using a FILE.

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susannah:
youre in 8
I'm in 7
you're creating a schedule using a dynamic list
I'm talking about using a FILE.

My bad... Sorry.

Hallway

Prod: 8202M1
Test: 8202M4
Repository:

Outputs:

Posts: 608 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA | Registered: November 18, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Susannah

This must be a bug.. I tried it and get the same error as you. Please open a case.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi S,

Are you on a multi tier environment? Client on one machine, WFRS on another?

If so, then this could explain why this doesn't work for you.

Try putting the distribution file on the client.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Master
posted Hide Post
I have several jobs that use a distribution file. It is just a text file (not XML). The distribution file must exist when the job is run, even if it is empty. We have ours on the Reporting Server in baseapp. You do have to specify the full path (/opt/ibi/apps/baseapp/yi621_supr.ftm). Our client server and reporting server are different virtual servers and we are Linux. We are 8.0.08 but it was exactly the same in 7.6.11.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think this is a bug with 8.1.05 as I am doing exactly as you suggested on a single platform and it will not locate the file.

Master
posted Hide Post
Chuck, what about 8.2.01M? We are preparing to move. If this is a bug in 8.1.05, is it fixed in 8.2.01M?

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
My test was in WF 8.2.01M on a single tier installation, so it should be OK.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Wolff:
I think this is a bug with 8.1.05 as I am doing exactly as you suggested on a single platform and it will not locate the file.

Ok, I can confirm the following:

1. you CAN have BURST and non-burst email addresses in the same distribution file;

2. When using a Distribution File, the file / subdirectory location MUST be available to ReportCaster.

I finally found item two in the doc, in an odd location; so, pebkac.

This means that it will not work to point to a Distribution file on the server, unless there is share/link/path to the server.

Gerry C- why does Dynamic Distribution List have a browse button, but Distribution File does not Smiler ?

Say, here's a thought- IBI, here's a suggestion to increase Focal Point participation: let's have a New Feature Request of the Month.

I vote for "how to determine Private focexecs in the 8x repository. Francis, are you in?

Thanks all for the assist, here and on the related post.

Steve

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm in. Razzer

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Steve

I think your idea of a monthly post to discuss new feature of the month is a great idea... A case with techsupport will still need to be opened as that is the official way to get the ball rolling. Once I know the case number I can grease the skids with product management letting them know that it is really a Focal Point request and more than one customer wanting the new feature.

How does that sound?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,
quote:
thanx T, didn't work.
Is it possible that your FILE resides on a shared drive? One that needs to be addressed by it's "share name"?

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post