Focal Point
Full Vertical line separating each ACROSS section in PDF?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4491028331

January 27, 2005, 05:00 PM
FliPPeR
Full Vertical line separating each ACROSS section in PDF?
I used the search feature but didn't find what I was looking for... Mikel example with CSS and Web focus Styles mixed is interesting but doesn't seem to work in PDF.

I have a report with 5 ACROSS sections and I would like to have a vertical line from top to bottom separating each ACROSS section (including subtotal and grand total if possible):

_______________|ACROSS1_|ACROSS2_|ACROSS3_|...
field1__field2____|_values__| values___| values___|
________field2__|_values__| values___| values___|
Subtotal_______|_values__| values___| values___|
Total__________|_values__| values___| values___|

(Sorry this is the best I could do in HTML)

I tried Grid and border but only the first across section gets a line and it breaks between each value... Right now I'm using a field with value '|' and AS '|' but it's not great. Frowner

Is there a way to do that in PDF format?

Thanks Smiler
January 27, 2005, 05:14 PM
j.gross
STYLESHEET syntax (for PDF and PS):
TYPE=type, {HGRID|VGRID}={ON|OFF|HEAVY}, $

(techsupport.informationbuilders.com/
ibase/masterindex/html/html_wf_53/wf53crlang/
cr26_pagelayout9.htm#1028133)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,
January 27, 2005, 05:22 PM
FliPPeR
Thanks but like I said VGRID doesn't work properly with ACROSS, It only put a grid around the first ACROSS value, I don't know why?
January 27, 2005, 05:35 PM
j.gross
Ah yes. Sounds like DATA is translated to a list of column (field) names, and she just includes the first hit on each.

But I recall there is either an explicit TYPE keyword for across-column-data; or a way of referencing individual across columns or ranges of them in terms of the name of the variable plus a subscript (with some syntax like * to address them all).
January 27, 2005, 06:21 PM
FliPPeR
-*for the first across section:
TYPE=DATA,COLUMN=C5,BORDER-RIGHT=MEDIUM,BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE=SOLID,BORDER-RIGHT-
COLOR=B
LACK,$

-*for all other across sections
TYPE=REPORT,ACROSSCOLUMN=N3,BORDER-
RIGHT=MEDIUM,BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE=SOLID,BORDER-
RIGHT-COLOR=BLACK,$

But ACROSSCOLUMN gives an error in when opening Acrobat Reader: An unrecognized token 'endstream' was found. And the report is f... up, I can see the vertical lines but the report is broken.

January 27, 2005, 06:27 PM
j.gross
In an example in techsupport,

TYPE=REPORT, ACROSSCOLUMN=N1, STYLE=ITALIC,$
TYPE=REPORT, ACROSSCOLUMN=N2, STYLE=BOLD,$

makes every column (heading and data) corresponding to the first verb object italic; and to the second, bold (so that italic and bold alternate across the page).

So if you have only one verb object and want to try explicitly applying grid/vgrid/hgrid, the
"TYPE=REPORT, ACROSSCOLUMN=N1, ..."
syntax might force the issue.

Then again, I harbor doubts that grid is specifiable for individual rows or columns, so that may lead nowhere.
January 27, 2005, 06:39 PM
FliPPeR
Unfortunately, it looks like TYPE=REPORT and BORDER-position don't work together

TYPE=REPORT, ACROSSCOLUMN=N1,
BORDER-RIGHT=MEDIUM,BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE=SOLID,BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR=BLACK,$

Gives the same error in Acrobat Reader.
Confused Confused
January 27, 2005, 06:43 PM
j.gross
Open a case.
January 27, 2005, 08:51 PM
FliPPeR
Finally, the error message was because my bottomgap and topgap were too big and I had 2 reports fitting on the same page (compound reporting nobreak).

To do it, you need 2 formatting lines, 1 for the first instance of the across value (COLUMN)
and 1 for the others (ACROSSCOLUMN)
TYPE=REPORT,COLUMN=colname,BORDER-RIGHT=
MEDIUM,BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE=SOLID,BORDER-RIGHT-
COLOR=BLACK,$
TYPE=REPORT,ACROSSCOLUMN=Nn,BORDER-RIGHT=
MEDIUM,BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE=SOLID,BORDER-RIGHT-
COLOR=BLACK,$

I still have a little problem, now that I have my vertical line, the background color of my ACROSSVALUE dissapeared, it's now 'none' without any reason. I can live with that. Wink