Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Not Getting the Formal Training Either- Frustrating!

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Not Getting the Formal Training Either- Frustrating!
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I was given a CD that made me start over from the very beginning every time I used it. If I had to stop or got interrupted then it would not let me go back to where I was. I have downloaded the documentation. I have created some of the reports and they work! But I really need the user friendly, Idiots Guide to Web Focus. For Instance: the Shell of the report how should it be laid out

Table File (Table Name)
Print File (Enter the Column Names you want to Print)

Where (Enter your Criteria)

It would be nice to know what the rule is on how to lay it out because if there is a field you have to "define" where should it go in this shell? How can you learn the correct way to rename these things? What is the Hold App all about?

I am used to Crystal Reports and Access and basic SQL Language such as selecting. My work is obviously not going to get me the training other than sending me to the Summit here in Nashville but that is not until June! Is there anyway to put together some sort of Beginners guide that can address some of these issues? WebFocus is a lot different than other languages. Please let me know looks like anything I get may have to be out of pocket or through these forums. Suggestions?

V. 762
Windows XP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I always knew I should have finished my FOCUS for Dummies book. Smiler

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Well that is great you are getting go to Summit...a world of knowlege and training there...lucky you. There is a book called WebFocus Keysheet that IBI sells...also if you will look at the top of this page on the Forum - there are some Virtual User Forum Archives...that might help you. I was programming in Focus years before I ever had a class...and this wonderful forum was not around back then. Yes it can be frustrating. You can learn a lot here...and just do your research and ask questions when you can't figure it out.. Good Luck

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Take a look at subject "Table Syntax Summary" in Appendix C of the "Creating Reports With WebFOCUS Language, Version 7 Release 6" PDF documentation.

It presents on two pages the complete syntax for TABLE FILE. It's a good starting point to understanding the "shell" of a WebFOCUS report.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
say, Leah, that's a great title for a presentation next year at summit!! Work it up!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I Remember that I had this kind of remarks towards Stéphane Chabrel who was, at the time, a perfect Focus Virtuoso -and a great Guy-
I told him all the evil I thought of Focus ( Error NEAR or AT,
somewhere AND and OR are the same, somewhere not
sometimes ';' is compulsory, sometimes Focus takes this ';' as a character .../...

First he told me Focus was schizo, sometimes he tries to satisfy the End-User and is not very precise (Table and If) sometimes he tries to satisfy the professional ( Define and Where )
Then he has many layers : SET, LET System Variables etc ...
And 2 Space-Times running,
the one of DM -xxx : The Space-Time of the boss that treat &Variables and stacks What the employee will have to do
The Other : The Space-Time of the Employee who come from time to time (-RUN) to read his stack and do the Job -That the Boss do not understand, at all. They are not leaving on same planet-
We used to say that the Bible (User's Manual of this time) had to be dump with sweat and tears before you had a chance to understand something in Focus ...
We are in the 3rd Millenium and things are much softer. What you need is
1) (little) pain
2) A good meeting with one of these guys who help in the forum (I'm too old to be the right guy)

The Define is (for me) the greatest point in Focus (Virtual Fields or Computed Fields : Real great)
The Universal Join (Some pain to foresee regards to SET ALL = ON, OFF, PASS) and to understand that "Unique" (0,1 cardinality) is treated differently : Differences between JOIN TO and JOIN TO ALL

And MoreOver, Focus is a kind of dream : Have a Universal Langage to Data and Process + a great sense of humor (Never say I can't, he always try something, sometimes frightfully insane, and that is where he laughs more)

With proper help, you'll do great things with Focus, and it won't be at all as frightful as I say.

Focusly yours

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'll have a pint of that please Wink

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Try to get both of these small books by IBI:
- "FOCUS Quick Reference Reporting Handbook", 27 pages, copyright 2002, IBI Pub# DN10000900.1002.
- "FOCUS Quick Reference Dialogue Manager Handbook", 27 pages, copyright 1994, IBI Pub# DN1000041.129.

They will give you the full syntax of all 'TABLE ...' statements and all D/M '- ...' statements.

They don't tell how to build a house, they just describe all the stuff you can by at the lumber yard.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Are those small books available on the website? Thanks for all the responses. This forum has been my greatest help in learning the ways of WF!

V. 762
Windows XP

Gold member
posted Hide Post
LOgle,

Focus has everything and the kitchen sink available, and a myriad of user interfaces to generate a report (core language, developer studio, report assistant, etc etc). It can be quite overwhelming, even for seasoned programmers.

You message indicates that you are looking for guidance on core language syntax. Francis gave a good pointer to the documentation for Table Syntax, and Prarie mentioned that a Keysheet reference guide is available. That is a good long-term investment for syntax reference.

Another resource is a gentle quickstart to Focus that user Grzegorz posted on Focalpoint in 2005. It is so good, we use it as a quickstart reference for our core language users. Please check it out, the message is:

Programming Language

Scroll down a couple of responses and you'll see Grzegorz's post.

Hope that helps,

-- Dan

P.S. The DEFINE block is placed before the TABLE request.

University of Nebraska at Omaha

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rigel7,

WebFOCUS 8.8.05M (Prod)/8.0.09(Sandbox) Windows

Posts: 56 | Location: Omaha, Ne USA | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
While reading all of these replies, my memory went back-back-back to a little book that you might find useful. It was called the "FOCUS Report Writing Primer". So I went to Advanced Search and typed in 'focus primer'. Lo and behold, the first available entry took me to an electronic version of this little gem.

While it is old (last pub in 1992), the language hasn't changed that much and I think it would be a great way for all newbies on this forum to start. Would answer a lot of basic questions about syntax and structure. And it uses demo files for the examples/tutorials. I'm sure it is similar to what is in Grzegorz's article.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Thank you Thank you! I am printing off what I can and ordering what I can't. I am going to start converting some of our more simple reports today using this information and see how I do. If I need help in the words of the famous Teminator "I'll be back"! Smiler

Thanks Again!

V. 762
Windows XP

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry the excitement got to me Terminator!

V. 762
Windows XP

Guru
posted Hide Post
Here's the FOCUS Quick Reference manual. It's perfect, just what you need:

http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...ickref_reporting.pdf

-WebFOCUS 8.2.01 on Windows

Posts: 318 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: November 15, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
There is an old book out there called 'Focus made Easy' that was written a long time ago that is very good. Look on halfoff.com for in or click on the link below.

http://www.coalbucket.com/cgi-bin/apf4/amazon_products_...SY&SearchIndex=Books

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I also have the Focus Made Easy book and recommend it. Like Ginny said, the language hasn't changed much so even the 'old' books are great for getting started. If you can spend a little money, there is also a website of CBT's that has a whole section on FOCUS. Go to www.e-learningcenter.com click on Our Courses, then General IT. I've not taken the FOCUS courses but took some of the others. I found them helpful.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
When I first started using FOCUS (80's-90's) the company I was at had CBT/IBT online (mainframe) training that was especially good for newbies. You could probably get the same out of a book, but my fuzzy memory recalls it tested you on what you read.

Not sure if there's anything like that anymore.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
say, Rigel7,come to think of it, whatever happened to Grzegorz ? and to Rubenibi ? Guys, if you've got your ears on, you are sorely missed.

Jessica, that's a great site, thanks .

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I printed the Quick Referernce Reporting and when I get paid I am going to purchase the Focus Made Easy book and the CBT's on the site Jessica recommended I think they are $69, Hopefully these will help.

I will also keep coming back to this question to see if anyone else has training recommendations.

Thanks!

V. 762
Windows XP

posted Hide Post
I feel your pain LOgle! I too have not been afforded the opportunity for formal training so I know how frustrating learning this product can be. Also, at my shop we were asked to use the GUI tools which seems to be almost a no-no. I can tell you a couple of things that I, as someone who is in your boat, have learned the hard way. The fastest way to learn is to DO for me. Don't use the GUI and then go straight to the code and then expect to be able to go back to the GUI without having issues. The GUI does not encompass all of the options available to you if you are in the raw code. And one last point I will make is that using the FORUM has been a lifesaver for me. I haven't posted much on here but I can assure you that I am an AVID FAN!!!! I will come here first every time when I get stumped, even if it's to find out which document to go read to get the answers I need. Because even the way the documentation is laid out is sometimes difficult to find the right place for what you are needing to know. Good luck to you - and it really is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

Tony - thanks so much for the laugh, I really needed that!

Jessica - thanks for the tip on E-learning center. I have used it before quite a while back and thought it was a good learning tool then. It's nice to know that you can get FOCUS there and I'll be sure to go check it out.

Thanks all of you who make this FOCUS world a little brighter!

Brenda
Smiler

Brenda
WebFocus/Report Painter 7.6.4
Linux/MVS DB2

Posts: 10 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Brenda,

Glad someone is catching some of the briefest posts Wink

Plano, eh? I regularly visit the Colony, Plano and surrounding area to see my wifes sister and her family.

One New years eve I even had the opportunity to "salute" EDS head quarters Roll Eyes

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony - you are just too funny! I'll bet that was some "salute"!!! Winky

Brenda
WebFocus/Report Painter 7.6.4
Linux/MVS DB2

Posts: 10 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: September 24, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Brenda, I was contracting for EDS in the north of England at the time. There are two white towers and I'll leave it to you to decide how I saluted Wink

T