Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Restricting FIELD access conditionally

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Restricting FIELD access conditionally
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to conditionally restrict access to some data fields across many different reporting programs. Preferably, I would be able to accomplish this without changing the FEXs.

Example:
Portfolio managers need access to our overall investment balance sheet. The detailed data is available in our FOCUS data marts and aggregated with Table requests. Further, they may only see detailed information for their own investment portfolios.

Insufficient option #1 -- Restrict record access with DBA rules, using RESTRICT=VALUE, NAME=SEG01, VALUE=MANAGER_CDE EQ ..., $
-- this filters out all records not meeting the criteria, impairing my ability to generate a complete balance sheet.

Insufficient option #2 -- Restrict field access with DBA rules, using RESTRICT=NOPRINT, NAME=ISSUE_NAM, $
-- this prevents the display of the issue name for all investments including in the managers' own portfolios.

Insufficient option #3 -- Restrict field access with a uniquely defined virtual field in multiple MFDs for each portfolio manager.
-- In the managers' profiles, I would control which master file is available for each manager. However, maintaining separate directories for each portfolio managers' MFDs is impractical.

I would like a conditional RESTRICT=NOPRINT feature here. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Web FOCUS 7.6.11

Master
posted Hide Post
Only thing I can think of is to have the portion of the report that needs full access to be done under a different SET USER= with full access but then to encrypt this fex and the master so that other users can't see what's going on.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jim,

You can put the DBA rules in a separate file and then reference it with a statement in the MFD.

Create a set of DBA rules files with different names and then at the beginning of a FEX copy the appropriate DBA rules file to a file that has the name referenced in the MFD. This might work.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Our application is Child Welfare. We have 3 basic groups, guests (no access to detail), regular child welfare workers (access to all detail except adoption data) and adoption workers and upper management (access to all detail).

What I do is run a fex every 12 hours to get updated staff data. If the user is not in the table, they are a guest. If the user is in the table but no longer Child Welfare, they are a guest. If the user is in the table and meets specific criteria (division, posistion type, etc.) they are in the adoption group. Everyone else is in the regular child welfare group.

When a report is run, I examine the user id passed from the Web Server. The userid is assigned a GroupId. Then I use a WHEN clause in the drill down that either enables or disables drill down to specific detail.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Check out IBI Technical Memo 4550 which tells how to suppress Applications, Files, and Fields from the various lists of same that are displayed in MRE and DevStudio tools.
While the intent is different, Technical Memo 4613 explains how to lock specific developers from specified Applications.
Both may help you do what you want.
Chris Burtt

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim,

Has this issue been resolved? Many thanks to everyone's input on this topic.

Here are the Technical Memos that Chris suggested:

Technical Memo 4550: Customizing the Display of Applications, Files, Fields, & Field Descriptions in WebFOCUS Development Tools 5.2.6 or Higher

Technical Memo 4613: Creating Private Application Views With APPLOCK 7.1

You will need to have an InfoResponse userid/password to access the documents.

Hope this helps. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post