Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Fex is not grabbing records out of text file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Fex is not grabbing records out of text file
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hello,

I am trying to read a text file that has records in it.

When I go to run the FEX I get no errors but do get "0 records in table".

I know there are records in the table and I have no filtering in the FEX.

Any Help.

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: moyer1dl,

IBM Main Frame: MVS, FIX, VSAM

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi, Dan.

This should be fairly easy to solve. Do you have an APP FI in the program to point to the data? If you don't have an APP FI in the fex, does the master have a DATASET parameter in it? Does your master file description for your text file actually match the data? Where is the MFD in relation to the location of your fex?

Please give us the answers to these questions. If the answers are not sufficiently enlightening, we might need to see the fex, master, and a bit of data but I don't think we need that right now.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I made a test fex. Here it is:

-* File uwreven.fex

FILEDEF PPINFEX2 DISK "C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\DMOYER\DESKTOP\PPINFEXT.DAT"
TABLE FILE PPINFEX2
PRINT
Compname
Policynmbr
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL

Here is the part of the master:

FILE=PPINFEX2, SUFFIX=FIX
SEGNAME=ROOT_SEG, SEGTYPE=S1, $
FIELD=Compname, ALIAS=F1, USAGE=A7, ACTUAL=A7, $
FIELD=Policynmbr, ALIAS=F2, USAGE=A9, ACTUAL=A9, $

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you running this locally, i.e on your PC with your reporting server on your PC? You say you are on the mainframe. If that is so, then your file needs to be on the mainframe.

Do a CHECK FILE PPINFEX2 and make sure that the number of bytes returned matches the record length of each row.

Do a ? FILEDEF to make sure that it is pointing to the right place.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
When I do a File Def

I get this

Lname Device Lrecl Recfm Append Filename
============================================================

but no output

This is a flat file and I am working with it in windows. I have also tried placing the file in my developer studio project area. The file matches the record length in the master

This message has been edited. Last edited by: moyer1dl,

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
I have done a simple repro:

- Created a file in the same place.
- Created a master to describe it.
- Wrote a focexec to read it.

-* File textdoc.fex
FILEDEF TEXTDOC DISK "C:\Documents and Settings\c758760\Desktop\textdoc.dat"
? FILEDEF
TABLE FILE TEXTDOC
PRINT *
END

Master:
FILE=TEXTDOC, SUFFIX=FIX
SEGNAME=ROOT_SEG, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELD=TEXTLINE, ALIAS=F1, USAGE=A80, ACTUAL=A80, $

Output of the FILEDEF:

Lname Device Lrecl Recfm Append Filename
============================================================
TEXTDOC DISK 0 V C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Desktop\textdoc.dat

Output of report:

PAGE 1

TEXTLINE
Sample Text File

It bothers me that you have nothing coming back from the ? FILEDEF. I think that is where you need to focus your efforts. Try making the filename mixed/lower case. If that doesn't work, move the file to approot and try it from there, changing the filedef to correspond.

You didn't mention whether you ran the CHECK FILE and what the results were. But your primary concern at this point in the filedef. That is why you are not getting any rows. Even if the master was off-column, you'd get data but it would look finny.

Ginny

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The record length checked out ok.

When you say move to Approot do you mean in my project area?

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are using Developer Studio to access local data, then both the Project area and the Data Servers area point to the same place on your hard drive, drive:\ibi\apps\dirname.

I don't think that is your problem though since I was able to get it to work by putting the file in the same place you did.

Gosh, I wish I could see what you are doing. This should be so simple. We are missing something really tiny.

Ginny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try throwing in a -RUN after the FILEDEF command. If that doesn't do it, try adding a DATASET declaration in your master file to specify the location of your data. Seems to be finding the master file OK. Ginny is right - it's got to be something easy that's missing.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by moyer1dl:
I made a test fex. Here it is:

-* File uwreven.fex

TABLE FILE PPINFEX2
PRINT
Compname
Policynmbr
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL

Here is the part of the master:

FILE=PPINFEX2, SUFFIX=FIX
SEGNAME=ROOT_SEG, SEGTYPE=S1, $
FIELD=Compname, ALIAS=F1, USAGE=A7, ACTUAL=A7, $
FIELD=Policynmbr, ALIAS=F2, USAGE=A9, ACTUAL=A9, $

Your master file and data file names(PPINFEXT.DAT, PPINFEX2.mas) are different , they should be the same so webfocus engine can find the datafile from specified location in filedef.

-Yogesh Patel
------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WF 764 on Linux Apache tomcat v5.5
DEV: WF 768 on Linux

Posts: 42 | Location: Edison, New Jersey | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
OK,

I moved this project to the localhost environment and it worked and picked up the file on my computer.

The only thing is how can I run this from my project area on the EDA server? I would like it to be available to more poeple than just me. Do I need to put the file somewhere else?

Thanks

Dan

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Expert
posted Hide Post
You need to move the file to the reporting server platform. That is the only way EDASERVE will be able to find it.

This is what I suspected all along, re this previous comment:

quote:
Are you running this locally, i.e on your PC with your reporting server on your PC? You say you are on the mainframe. If that is so, then your file needs to be on the mainframe.

Ginny

<JG>
posted
quote:
Your master file and data file names(PPINFEXT.DAT, PPINFEX2.mas) are different , they should be the same so webfocus engine can find the datafile from specified location in filedef.

Yogesh the fact that the master and data file have different names is not an issue when using FILEDEF

The whole point of FILEDEF, AP FI and DYNAM ALLOC is to assign a logical name to a physical file.

In the case of relational tables the master does not need to be the same name as the physical table
because the physical files db and table/view name are maintained in the access file.

In the case of a FOCUS or XFOCUS database the master name does not have to match the physical database
name as the logical name can be assigned with a USE statement.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GinnyJakes:
You need to move the file to the reporting server platform. That is the only way EDASERVE will be able to find it.

This is what I suspected all along, re this previous comment:

quote:

When you say the reporting server platform how does that translate geographically from my view in Dev Studio.

I can probably hit this file when it is on the Mainframe, but the file name changes every month and Id rather export it off the mainframe and report off of it in the windows envrinment.

Windows SQL

WF 7.7

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:

When running the fex in Dev Studio, it's going to look at the C: drive of the server that Dev Studio is running on.

Either you can move the file into your project or somewhere on the same server as Dev Studio or you can use the APP MAP command to map to another server. (but not the c: drive)

Good Luck!

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2k3

Posts: 428 | Location: Springfield, MA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Windows SQL

WF 7.7