Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Publish Procedure as Webservice Webfocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Publish Procedure as Webservice Webfocus
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Everyone

Sorry to bother you again. But I have question concering webservices. I googled arround about the topic to publish a procedure as a Webservice, but I wasn't able to find something useful (only a few marketing sheets from older webfocus versions where this topic is mentioned in one sentence).

So my questions are:

- I am able to publish a procedure (with any data) as a REST or SOAP Webservice in Webfocus 8.x?
- If yes how can I do that? Any additional software requirements/licenses? ... ?
- I can't find any usfull documentation about this topic in the official documentation. Can you point me to the right one?

(I know the webservice documentation, but as far as I've seen it's only about the "default" rest webservices delivered by ibi itself.) But I want to write my own.

Thanks a lot.

best regards
Matthias

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 26 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: August 17, 2016Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Could you provide a use case?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

I have this procedure:

SET PAGE=NOLEAD
SET HTMLCSS=ON

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
COMPUTE TEXT01/A20 = 'LINE 1'; AS ''
COMPUTE MEASURE11/D20 = WEIGHT * HEIGHT; AS ''
COMPUTE MEASURE12/D25 = HEIGHT * LENGTH ; AS ''
OVER
COMPUTE TEXT02/A20 = 'LINE 2'; AS ''
COMPUTE MEASURE21/D20.2 = SALES * 12; AS ''
COMPUTE MEASURE22/D20.2 = HEIGHT * WIDTH; AS ''

HEADING
"REPORT 1"
" <+0>HOURS <+0>DAYS"

ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, FONT=CALIBRI, SIZE=10, $
TYPE=HEADING, HEADALIGN=BODY, $
TYPE=HEADING, LINE=1, COLSPAN=3, $
ENDSTYLE
END

And I want to call that (fex file) procedure from a Java/.NET/or whatever technology I want to call it in either a REST way or in a SOAP way. Is that possible?

Architecture will be:

Oracle DB -> Webfocus Adapter for Oracle -> Master File(s) -> Procedures (FEX) -> Webservice Server Stub <== REST/SOAP Call == Webservice Client Consumer <- Java/.NET/... Software

And on top of that: It would be nice if I can influence the schema (WSDL or JSON).

Best regards
Matt

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but the documentation on WebFOCUS RESTful Web Services Developer's Guide seems to give a pretty thorough explanation of how to do this including signing into WebFOCUS and running a fex.

http://documentation.informati...rest_webservices.pdf

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi BabaNYC

Thanks for your answer.

It's 50% of what I want to have.

I know there is a chapter "Running a Report From WebFOCUS Managed Reporting". But it seams that you can't influence the schema of the webservice itself. It says that the response is either HTML, Excel, PDF, active report, or a graph.

The fact is: HTML, Excel, PDF, active report, or a grahp are bad formats for a further automatic data processing.

What I need is a REST "Web service" returning a JSON object or a SOAP Message with plain data and not - let's call it "binary" report format.

Best regards
Matt

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Just return JSON format, it should be OK.

I've done it before, also returned XML as well.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Waz

Ok, I will try that. Thanks for the tipp.

Best regards
Matt

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs