Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] InfoAssist dimensions & measures

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] InfoAssist dimensions & measures
 Login/Join

posted
Hi there,

I'm looking for a way to organise the dimensions and measures in the InfoAssist create report view into logical groupings/folders based on subject area. I've searched this on the dev forum and it seems that the dimensions and measures get split just simply on whether the field is a character or a number.

I've also tried reorganising the data in the Synonym Editor via a Business View, but this also loses any folder structure in the InfoAssist front end view. If you have joined multiple tables into a dataset and then built a view over for example Customer/Product/Sales containing multiple fields, InfoAssist will just split this into 2 nonsensical buckets of dimensions and measures.. not really friendly for the end user as it does not show where this field is coming from.

I don't need to OLAP enable these reports, I just want the user to be able to create reports off relational data that's grouped into logical subject areas.

The main question is, is there a way to show data organised logically into folders in the InfoAssist front end view. That is , can the default dimensions/measures be modelled or split into groups?

Thanks
Jon

PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.7 on Windows 2003
DEV: WebFOCUS 7.6.9 on Windows 2003

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.7
Windows 2003
Excel, PDF, HTML, InfoAssist

Posts: 3 | Location: London | Registered: April 17, 2009Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi JAL,

This is what I noticed too !

We do not use InfoAssist here yet.
But I attented a InfoAssist hand-on-experience day at InformationBuilders.

I asked the lady and she confirmed it. If it's text it's a dimension, if it's numeric it's a measure.

Pretty silly since everything we use has a numeric ID which is never a measure.
( so much for the "CAR" sample... )

But she -did- mention it can be solved using businessviews. I guess you're on the right track.

A solution we used in our previous BI-tool is just convert the numeric dimensions in to text-fields. This also prevent accidental calculations on them.

Good luck.

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Info Assist provides 3 view options:
1. Logical - Grouped as Dimensions and Measures
2. List - Alphabetic list of all fields/attributes
3. Structured

Using a Business View with the "structured" option should get you what you are looking for.