Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] WebFOCUS 8 Portal

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] WebFOCUS 8 Portal
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi there,
We are migrating fom WebFOCUS 7 to WebFOCUS 8. Until now it's working fine. But right now I have a problem.

WebFOCUS 7 has the ability to create a dashboard by group. This group can have one or more domains. A user is associated with one or more groups.
Suppose that I have a group named GroupA with a domain named DomainA. And another one, GroupB, with domain DomainA and DomainB. A user, userA, has access to both groups.
For each group I have a dashboard, DashA (for GroupA) and DashB (for GroupB).
If the user access to DashA only see information of DomainA (folder DomainA). If he uses DashB can access to DomainA and DomainB.

How can I do the same thing in WebFOCUS8?
I create in the content area DomainA and DomainB. Set the security for each one to GroupA and GroupB. When I design the Portal and use the Resource Tree I can't find a way to tell which domain to view.

From what I understand when using the Resource Tree there is no way to tell which folder should be visible for the current portal.

Any tips on this?

Best regards,
Carlos Dias

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Carlos Dias,

WebFOCUS version: 7.6
Linux/Windows
HTML, Excel

Posts: 127 | Location: Aveiro, Portugal | Registered: February 04, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Carlos,
Glad you are moving to WF8, although, not too many on here are.
Suggesting you contact IBI as they will be your best resource for WF8...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Try using the Resource Template by "Righ" clicking on the Content and clicking new Enterprise Domain. Doing this will create a new Content folder, group, and portal

Inside the group itself, in Security Center, it will assign 4 roles to the group (basic user, advanced user, developer, group admin). Assign your users or LDAP groups to those roles.

NOTE****
I am by all means no expert in security, but I have been tinkering with it for the past few months.

Once you have 2 Content folders, groups and portals. They will be assigned in a 1 to 1 relation. What I am thinking is that on the "A" Content Folder and the "A" Portal, you could grant access to Group B so folks in group B will be able to view both A and B Portals.

I would get IBI involved to help. Security is very granular now and it takes a bit to get used to.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your answer Matt.

I try you suggestion but it doesn't work as expected.

I created a ContentA and ContentB. The ContentA and ContentB were created in the Portal area. Then assign my user to both groups ContentA and ContentB.

But when I access to Portal ContentA I can access to both contents, not just to ContentA as expected.

Linux/Windows
HTML, Excel

Posts: 127 | Location: Aveiro, Portugal | Registered: February 04, 2011Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Instead of allowing the Resource Link on the portal, create a new page with the ContentA folder structure in the Portal itself.

If I understand correctly, you dont want others to see other content folders. I had the same desire so this is how I got around it.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Because of the granularity of the security, I think you should set the security rules on Content as well as Portal.

I set up 2 groups with userb in one and usera in both. Applied security, including Denied ListAndRead, for one of the groups. This seems to have given the scenario you require.

Later I'll remove all security and start again for a better explanation.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Carlos,

I just recently spent some time converting a 7703 MR basedir and two group dashboards to 8002M.
The basedir had 5 domains, two work groups and two users who belong to the same two workgroups, One workgroup can access 2 of the 5 domains and the other workgroup can access the other 3 of the 5 domains.

There are migrate export and import bat files that are set up to cleanly transfer all the data from 77 and import it into WF8.

As it imports everything WF8 sets up folders and user accounts that have the same functionality and security as it did under 77.

You can find instructions on all this in the WebFOCUS 8 Knowledge Center.

It all works best if you are using 8002M.

Good luck.

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 05, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattC:
Instead of allowing the Resource Link on the portal, create a new page with the ContentA folder structure in the Portal itself.

If I understand correctly, you dont want others to see other content folders. I had the same desire so this is how I got around it.

Matt that's the answer to my problem.
Thank you very much!

Linux/Windows
HTML, Excel

Guru
posted Hide Post
Glad it was helpful. It's a learning curve with this security.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05