Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Better Master file management

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Better Master file management
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like to build a data dictionary of the master files and .fex(es?) in my development environment by reporting where master files and data elements are being used. Is there a way I can retrieve this information from my MRE environment? We are WebFocus 7.6.4, IIS, SQL server 2005, and Oracle 9i.

thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Release 7.7.03,
Windows platform,
Excel, PDF, HTML,Active Reports, Active/Flex,

Posts: 25 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: May 09, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Your master file descriptions are stored on the reporting server, not in the MRE repository.

There are other posts on this topic as well but the best way to do this is to use operating system commands to generate lists of files, break them down by directory, do searches in focexecs to see where they are used, using CHECK FILE in a loop to generate a list of data elements, etc.

There is an impact analysis tool in 7.6 but it seems better suited to individual master searches as opposed to an entire implementation.

Anyway, I do many things of this nature in my environment using the processes I described above.

Maybe someone else has a better way that is less work.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We want that too James.

There is as far as I know not something like the resources analyzer that works on the MRE data.
What you can do is create your fexes in the EDA and do the analyzes there.
The other solution would be to create an application that reads all the fexes and creates a meta data set.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I was looking in the wrong place. Ginny, thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Release 7.7.03,
Windows platform,
Excel, PDF, HTML,Active Reports, Active/Flex,

Posts: 25 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: May 09, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Your MRE fexes are stored in basedir which is a directory structure against which you can use operating system commands. You can create a dummy master (I call mine LINE80) and you can filedef a focexec to it and parse it looking for the names of masters. That is parsing free-form text and it is not an easy thing to do.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
After finding a used master in the fex you have to find out if it is a known master or just an intermediate hold master.
And that is only the beginning.
What fields are used?
How about defines?

It might be a better way to put all this basic information in the first lines with comment. Something like

-* masters: CAR
-* fields: COUNTRY, MODEL
-* fex starts here

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post