Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] InfoAssist JOIN

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] InfoAssist JOIN
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Is the following possible:
JOIN FIELD1 IN FILE1 TO FIELD1 IN FILE2 TAG J001 AS J001
JOIN FIELD1 IN FILE1 TO FIELD1 IN FILE3 TAG J002 AS J002

The reason that I ask is that when I do this, I only see the fields from line two of the two JOINs.

Or, do I need to do something like the SQL CLE, when I do the first JON and HOLD it, the do another JOIN from that to FILE3?

FILE3 is a synonym to an Excel Spreadsheet.

An explanation behind your 'Yes' or 'No' would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Update:

I did a TABLE FILE request / HOLD FORMAT FOCUS on FILE3 to create a FOCUS file, with the synonym. And the JOIN works as above Yea!.

the question remains: Why didn't it work from the Synonym for the Excel file? My quest continues...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Doug

This looks like it was done correctly. Do a ? JOIN after the request and see what it shows.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The ? JOIN shows that the three files are JOINed. But only the fields from the 2nd JOIN are available in IA.

I'll be back on this on Monday... I'm off to California...

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Could it be as ridiculous as you are missing the END after each JOIN...

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could it be as ridiculous as you are missing the END after each JOIN...

Actually, the END statement is only needed on a multi-line JOIN. It's not required in the code in my original post... Unless something has changed with that. If so, What Changed?

The code in my original post was simplified code taken from the IA Generated code, which did not work when using it as IA generated it (IA generated Multi-line statements with the END as the terminator of each JOIN), simplified down to single line JOINs for the sake of the FP display.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
simplified down to single line JOINs for the sake of the FP display

Hasn't thought that you did that.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
OK, that wasn't clear. The case remains that the JOIN, done as the two single line JOINs or 'as IA created them as multi-line JOINs' didn't work.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Trying to reproduce your exact situation (Excel source files and using IA) and it works fine.

I created a workbook with three worksheets, each with two columns of data.

The first row is a header row to provide field names.

The first column is named "FIELD1" the second column is named "FILE#_FIELD2" where # relates the worksheet number.

After creating the synonyms for the three worksheets, I could open IA using the first worksheet and the used Data/Join to add the other two.

Result was all three files are displayed in field selector.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony, Chuck, and Martin,

That clarified this and I got it to work as it should.