Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Nested IFs
 Login/Join

posted
Good Afternoon,
Is there a limit of nested IFs within a define? And what is the limit of how many defines we can use in a report?
Thanks in advanced.
Karin

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
what release are you on.

This is as of 7.6

Is there a limit using nested IF-THEN-ELSE statements?
Solution:
There is no limit on the number of IF-THEN-ELSEs. Previously the limit was 16.
Now the limit is depended upon by the amount of memory available. This also
depends on what is in the IF-THEN-ELSE. For example:
(IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' ELSE IF COUNTRY EQ 'FRANCE'

The code above would use less memory then the code below:
IF (COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' AND CAR EQ 'JAGUAR' AND SEATS GT 15
AND etc.... THEN ELSE.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much!
Karin

posted Hide Post
And yes, I am on 7.7 but going to 8.0.

Thank you!
Karin

WebFocus 8
Windows 7
All outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
KarinC,

The number of IF-THEN-ELSE might not be a problem...

...but we've encountered the problem that the total length of the IF-statement ( in characters ) seems to have a maximum.

Greets,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Do you know what's the limit?
Thanks!
Karin

Master
posted Hide Post
No, sorry. I don't.

But it's not really big.

I think we had trouble with
-IF .... THEN ... ELSE
-IF ... TEHN ... ELSE
etc.

before we made it to 100 lines.

But it's easily avoidable when broken up in smaller parts.

G'luck.

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dave, are you talking about Dialog Manager -IF/THEN/ELSE statements instead of FOCUS ones?

In dialog manager you can only use those with GOTO labels, or as part of an assignment (-SET &X=IF ... THEN ... ELSE ...).

I doubt you'd run into a situation where you'd have so many labels to choose from that you'd run into a statement length limit (labels are limited to 12 characters even), so I assume you're talking about the usage of IF THEN ELSE in an assignment?

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As of 7.7, Dialogue Manager Labels can be 64 characters in length.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
karinC, just curious, did you mean to have 2 topics on Nested Ifs?

Anyway, see my answer here:

Nested IFs

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
No, not really. I wanted to put it under another topic and I wasn't sure how I ended up there. Thank you so much for assistance! Smiler
Karin

WebFocus 8
Windows 7
All outputs