Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     scatter plots, with text _labelled data points

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
scatter plots, with text _labelled data points
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
graphics guru's:
how can i make a scatter plot with the points labelled with text, not values.
any idea?

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Grzegorz>
posted
If you are going to change the Tool Tip on the scatter points, you can use the following GRAPHSTYLE * API functions:

• setUserToolTip("Any Text")
  • setDeveloperToolTip("Any Text")
  • setToolTipMode(true/false)
  • etc.

Note: The tooltip functions, does not work with GRAPHEDIT=SERVER mode.

If you are going to change the Y1Axis labels for the scatter chart it is not so easy. the same if you would like to have different ToolTip text for the different points.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
hi Gregorz, thanks for answering.
I'm not sure i understand.
What i want is every point to be labelled with its own label, ie "Dresses", "shoes", "hats", etc.
it seems from your suggestion that "anytext" is a one-label event, and every point would be labelled with whatever is in "anytext". Am i reading you correctly??

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Grzegorz>
posted
quote:
it seems from your suggestion that "anytext" is a one-label event, and every point would be labelled with whatever is in "anytext". Am i reading you correctly??
Yes, exactly. The GRAPHSTYLE API commands concern the whole perspective, i.e. the whole chart or even "charting engine". It is really difficult (if possible) to apply the API to individual chart points using GRAPHSTYLE *.
setDataTextDisplay and setDataTextTemplateScatter invokations, does not allow to achieve "dynamic text labels" as well.
It is possible to experiment with textures instead (e.g. texture images with texts), something like the example (it does not work for me - textures look dimly):

GRAPH FILE CAR
ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 900
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 1200
PRINT
COMPUTE SALE_EN/D8.2 = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' THEN SALES ELSE 0; AS 'England'
COMPUTE SALE_FR/D8.2 = IF COUNTRY EQ 'FRANCE' THEN SALES ELSE 0; AS 'France'
COMPUTE SALE_GE/D8.2 = IF COUNTRY EQ 'W GERMANY' THEN SALES ELSE 0; AS 'Germany'
COMPUTE SALE_IT/D8.2 = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ITALY' THEN SALES ELSE 0; AS 'Italy'
COMPUTE SALE_JP/D8.2 = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' THEN SALES ELSE 0; AS 'Japan'
BY SEATS
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHSTYLE *
setGraphType(61);
setDataTextDisplay(false);
setLegendDisplay(false);
-REPEAT :MLOOP FOR &CNT FROM 1 TO 5
-SET &SER_NR = &CNT - 1;
setMarkerSize(getSeries(&SER_NR), 48);
setMarkerShape(getSeries(&SER_NR), 1);
setSeriesFillColor(&SER_NR, new Color(255,255,255));
setFillType(getSeries(&SER_NR), 3);
setTextureDisplayMode(getSeries(&SER_NR), 0);
setTextureURL(getSeries(&SER_NR), "file:/D:/ibi/apps/tests/images/&SER_NR|.gif");
-:MLOOP
END
END
Regards
Grzegorz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Mabel>,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
wow, gregorz, you've taught me a huge amount!
i did actually just give up and write a scatter program in pure html , taking its values from a fex and writing span tags with abs. positioning.
The hard way, but got it done.
Thanks for your code example; i'll study it very carefully.
Cheers!