Focal Point
[CLOSED] Any thoughts on password protecting a report or dashboard

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/4577014786

August 03, 2017, 08:22 AM
RobertF
[CLOSED] Any thoughts on password protecting a report or dashboard
Our installation of wf has never had the need for security other than who may access the portal. We do have a need now to shield the results of a pop up report on a particular tab from certain users.

My simplistic approach was to add a prompt for a password, white font the users entry, shrink the font down so no one can highlight it to see thru the white font. Then we just give out the password to those who need it. Of course the fex does a check against the pw before running the report etc...

It works but having shrunk the font down so much looks weird and if I enter the pw wrong, it sometimes makes reentering it an issue if I do not delete my old entry.

Is there anyway I can have the pw entered in a normal font but display '#' signs or something for the characters so no one can see what the users types?

BTW, I am open to any other idea on protecting this single report.

We are on WF 8.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
August 03, 2017, 12:15 PM
MartinY
Using WF8 security model you can grant or not access to user group or specific user(s) so why would you like to add a password protection on report execution ?

If the user/group doesn't have access to the report it won't popup (except if I'm totally wrong about WF8 security).

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
August 04, 2017, 02:23 PM
RobertF
I suspect mostly because we never implemented a security model and were looking for a quick dirty way to pw protect...

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
August 04, 2017, 02:28 PM
MartinY
IMHO trying to implement a pwd security as you describe will takes much more effort and maintenance than using WF8 security model.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
August 09, 2017, 01:04 PM
RobertF
perhaps...but its not my call...

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
August 09, 2017, 01:38 PM
Doug
Ditto / I agree to the following...
quote:
IMHO trying to implement a pwd security as you describe will take much more effort and maintenance than using WF8 security model.
If you have a WebFOCUS Application, then you should use the WebFOCUS functionality...
August 09, 2017, 04:00 PM
David Briars
quote:
...shield the results of a pop up report on a particular tab from certain users...I am open to any other idea on protecting this single report...

Do you have a list of users who have authority to access the classified report?

If so, perhaps test the incoming User Id against the list, showing the report if the user is on the list, and a 'Sorry' message, if they are not on the list?
August 10, 2017, 04:25 AM
Mark Millican
RobertF,

I have our public dashboard published on our intranet , therefore access is restricted to our company users.

To run the reports you are prompted for a password which is an &variable.

I have a define which selects the ‘Department’ to report from depending on the &variable value. The define is standalone and is referenced in the reports using an include.

I hope this helps.
Mark
August 10, 2017, 07:22 AM
Tony A
quote:
My simplistic approach was to add a prompt for a password, white font the users entry, shrink the font down so no one can highlight it to see thru the white font.

Hi Robert,

If this is the way that you intend to go, then no need to jump through hoops to protect the viewing of the password, just change the "type" attribute for the input control to "password".

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
August 14, 2017, 12:16 PM
RobertF
this sound like what I am looking for..

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
August 14, 2017, 12:19 PM
RobertF
where do I set this type....on the html page? That is where it's collected and returned to the fex for evaluation...

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
August 14, 2017, 12:20 PM
RobertF
to be more specific, I collect the PA on the html page where its evaluated in the fex as follows:

-IF &REPORTPW EQ 'Mypasswordexample' GOTO RUNREPORT
-ELSE GOTO SECURITYMSSG;

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
August 14, 2017, 12:23 PM
RobertF
...and finally, I do see a Type on the properties for the HTML password item...however I am unable to enter anything into it...

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs
August 15, 2017, 03:06 PM
FP Mod Chuck
Hi Robert

At this point I would suggest you open a case with techsupport to get this working.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats
August 21, 2017, 09:04 AM
TexasStingray
You need to ask yourself/managers what is the impact to our company if the report is view by someone who should not be able to see it. If it is minimal then your approach may be all you need. If it is anything else then you should use the security built into the product. ESPECIALLY because you said the public portal in on the INTERNET.

Scott