Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Carriage return in a prompt?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Carriage return in a prompt?
 Login/Join

posted
How do you insert a carriage return in a prompt for an amper variable? For example, say I have something like this:

-PROMPT &DISB4ID.(D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,M,N,W,X).ID4 - FALL=D-G SPR=H-K SUMM=M N W X.

The prompt will display as

ID4 - FALL=D-G SPR=H-K SUMM=M N W X

... with a one character combo box below it. I would rather it look more like this

ID4
FALL=D-G
SPR=H-K
SUMM=M N X W

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Posts: 21 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 01, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
cr is & # 1 0 and lf is & # 1 3
(blank spaces b/w characters inserted just to make them show up on the forum)

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I apologize for my inexperience, but I am not sure I understand. I have tried a couple of variations on the code:

-PROMPT &DISB4ID.(D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,M,N,W,X).ID4 & # 1 0 FALL=D-G SPR=H-K SUMM=M N W X.

Returns this:

ID4 FALL=D-G SPR=H-K SUMM=M N W X         #10
[COMBO BOX]                               [TEXT BOX]

This

-PROMPT &DISB4ID.(D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,M,N,W,X).ID4& # 1 0 FALL=D-G SPR=H-K SUMM=M N W X.

Produces this

DISB41D              #10FALL
[COMBO BOX]          [TEXT BOX]

(As in yours the spaces between are not there.)

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
don't know that it will work, i'm just telling you what the codes are for carriage return and for line feed. remember to escape the & character by following it with the pipe character | .
just having the & will cause wf to think you're talking about an & variable.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried adding a pipe, but it just adds a literal pipe to the prompt label. So, there may not be a way to do it. I really appreciate you trying to help.

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Even if you succeed in passing it through to the HTML page, HTML will treat CR LF as whitespace.

Try <BR> instead:

-PROMPT &DISB4ID.(D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,M,N,W,X).ID4<BR>FALL=D-G<BR>SPR=H-K<BR>SUMM=M N W X.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Well, I thought that would work, but it reports this:

ibihash_getStr : ERROR--- can't translate string 'FALL=D-G' ---ERROR
ibihash_getStr : ERROR--- can't translate string 'SPR=H-K' ---ERROR
ibihash_getStr : ERROR--- can't translate string 'SUMM=M N W X' ---ERROR

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
i get this when i try that:
ibihash_getStr : ERROR--- can't translate string 'FALL=D-G' ---ERROR
ibihash_getStr : ERROR--- can't translate string 'SPR=H-K' ---ERROR
ibihash_getStr : ERROR--- can't translate string 'SUMM=M N W X' ---ERROR

Expert
posted Hide Post
Allow me to ask for clarity on this. Are you wanting this "Prompt" to show up for the users using the "Auto Prompting", or in a "Launch Page"?

Consider this:
-SET &WFFMT=&WFFMT.(<Excel,EXL2K>,<Screen,HTML>).Report Format:.;

That produces this:

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am able to populate the prompt box. What I need is to be able to is set a line break in the prompt label. Using your, Doug, as an example, I am trying to get Report Format: to print like this --

Format:

The labels I need to add are a bit long and messy.

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
This:
quote:
C:\Users\samuer\Desktop\CURRENT PROJECTS\Prompts
is not viewable from within FocalPoint.

Have you considered using the HTML Composer to create a Launch Page for your fex/

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry.

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to think a Launch Page needs to be the next phase of my learning. We have to connect to the server remotely, and the site that hosts it is pretty strict on what they allow off-site programmers do. No one here has tried yet. Guess I'll break some new ground. Sweating

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
oh totally!

Expert
posted Hide Post
The problem that you will have achieving this is due to the fact that the autoprompting is achieved using XSL.

I have tried several methods to "encourage" a line feed within the prompt label but had no success at all.

In the interests of moving you forward, before you embark upon your HTML composer career, is the following code snippet any use? I admit that it is a little cumbersome compared to what you would really like but it would give your end users an indication of code decriptions?

-* The following code should be on one line.
-SET &DUMMY = &DISB4ID.(<D (Fall),D>,<E (Fall),E>,<F (Fall),F>,<G (Fall),G>,<H (Spring),H>,<I (Spring),I>,<J (Spring),J>
,<K (Spring),K>,<M (Summer),M>,<N (Summer),N>,<W (Summer),W>,<X (Summer),X>).ID4.;

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Don't fear too much as "you embark upon your HTML composer career"... It's really not that bad or hard...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Also, see Kerry's post on Thu Jan 31 2013 15:50 at: Upcoming: Higher Education Virtual - Winston Salem State University on 06/20 for more information on the "HTML Composer".

posted Hide Post
@ Tony A -- I must be missing something, because when I run the code, the browser just freezes. Confused

@ Doug -- Thank you for the link. I registered and sent the link to my coworker as well.

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Did you put the code on just 1 line as mentioned in the first row comment?

Works fine for me in 7.7.03

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is all one line.

I'm using version 7.6.11

-SET &DUMMY = &DISB4ID.(<D (Fall),D>,<E (Fall),E>,<F (Fall),F>,<G (Fall),G>,<H (Spring),H>,<I (Spring),I>,<J (Spring),J>,<K (Spring),K>,<M (Summer),M>,<N (Summer),N>,<W (Summer),W>,<X (Summer),X>).ID4.;

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Just ran it on a 7.6.10 install with autoprompt turned on and it also works fine.

Just in case, I took your code from the above post and used that (you never know Wink) and that worked OK on both versions.

What browser are you using - I guess I.E. but which abomination version? I am using I.E. 8 in both.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

posted Hide Post
No problem. I understand.

IE v. 10

I assume my autoprompt is turned on, or else I wouldn't be receiving autoprompts. But just in case, how do I check?

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
You would need to access the client server console - probably not something that you have access to given your previous statement!

However, you are correct in assuming that, if you are getting the autoprompt screen (give away is the page title - "WebFOCUS Autoprompting Facility"!) then it is turned on.

Have you tried a new fex with just that line of code within it? If that runs OK then it may be something else lurking in the depths of your code.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

posted Hide Post
Using a different .fex with just that line of code still results in the browser just going blank. :sigh:

I think it's looking like there is some super secret security in place on the remote server to keep us offsite programmers from wandering out into the street and getting run over by autoprompts.

Thanks everyone for trying, though.

Dev. Studio 7.6.11
Win 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
That's a shame, not sure what the underlying cause of that is. Can you try with compatability mode on?

As for autoprompting, you can also check the value for the variable &WFDESCRIBE by issuing -? & SAVEPRINT (ala Francis Mariani!) and if the value is anything other than OFF you have autoprompting turned on. The usual setting is XMLPROMPT.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986