Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     .fex file getting renamed while copying[SOLVED]

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
.fex file getting renamed while copying[SOLVED]
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I am trying to copy a .fex file from Managed reporting server with its actual name to my desktop (for backup purpose).

But it is getting renamed to some href file name.

How do i copy a file with its actual name to my desktop.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vasantha kumar,

Vasantha kumar
7.1.4/ Unix / OF:EXL2K

<JG>
posted
In MRE a file may not have the same physical file name as the display name.

Right click and select properties and you will see the real file name.

What you get when doing a copy is the physical file.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If you are an MR administrator you can use the MRExtract utility to create a file that can be reported on that will give you a cross reference list. We provide that for our users about once a quarter. As if we need to restore a file we need the physical file name not the name displayed. The information on how to run the utility and file layouts are in the admin manual for MR.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
You can always open it, select all and copy it to notepad and save it on your desktop. Or you can ftp it from your unix server to your computer.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
JG hit it on the nose. It is not changing the name of the file, but simply copying the file with its ACTUAL physical name rather than the "nice" name that has been assigned to it in the MR environment. If you want something else, use Pat's suggestion and copy and paste your code and save it to whatever you want. Hoever, you then have the problem of identifying which procedure it is you may need to restore.

Second note, if you're copying files from a SERVER to a PC for backup, you might need to re-examine you backup strategy.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What CLH is suggesting is what we do every night.
than we store that information in combination with some old DIR commands in a database.
So we have the physical name and location and many other interesting information like the long display name, original creation date and time, last change date etc.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Well,

Thanks for the responses. But i would like to add one point here. As PBrightwell said, you can't FTP the file simply from UNIX. First of all you have to copy the .fex files to UNIX server and then you have to rename every file. And then you have to FTP it.

I think Lee's option is better. Simple copy and paste will solve the problem but as a developer it is taking considerable amount of time for me to do this. Frowner

Anyways, thanks for the valuable suggestions!

Vasantha kumar
7.1.4/ Unix / OF:EXL2K