Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] bursting to ftp distribution list with wildcards

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] bursting to ftp distribution list with wildcards
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have problems getting a FTP distribution list with wildcards in ReportCaster working.
I have a report I would like to burst to several pdf reports and distribute through ftp.
As the burst values are somewhat dynamic and several reports need to go to the same destination I try to use a ftp distribution list with wildcards, but it is not working.

This is what I tried and what works and does not work.
If I switch off bursting and distribute to a single ftp file it works fine, so the ftp connection is working.
If I switch on bursting and distribute to email with a distribution list with wildcards it also works fine. I get emails with one or more attached pdf's just according to the wildcards.
If I try to burst and distribute to a ftp distribution list with wildcards, it only creates the index file on the specified ftp location (which is empty, only
 <HTML><BODY></BODY></HTML> 
).
The ReportCaster log also only indicates "Index file distributed to index.htm", does not mention anything about the specific bursted reports and why they are not distributed.

It almost seems like wildcards in a ftp distribution list are not working.
I use following distribution list:

Burst value         File
 [wildcard]:01*      Region01.pdf
 [wildcard]:02*      Region02.pdf
 [elsesend]:         unknown.pdf

If I use identical email distribution list it works fine. All bursted reports with burst value matching wildcard 01* are distributed to the indicated email address as multiple attachments to the email.
As attachment name in the email the burst value is used in combination with the file name indicated in the scheduled task.

Is it not possible to use wildcards with a ftp distribution list? It makes me also wonder what the filename would be. I would expect a combination of the burst value and the indicated filename in the distribution list, just like with email distribution.

If I do not use the wildcards and add a line to the ftp distribution list with a fixed burst value, then this is indeed distributed to the indicated ftp location/file.

Am I doing something wrong with the wildcarded ftp distribution list, or is it simply not possible?
I do want to use the wildcards as the burst values are somewhat flexible, and I want to use at least the [elsesend]: to handle the missing values in the distribution list not to miss out on any bursted report, especially as ReportCaster is not giving any error if you forget to specify a value.

Thanks for any help.
Martin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martin vK,

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Martin, wildcards are not supported with FTP distribution.
Unfortunately the documentatin omits this information.
We will update the documentation to make this clear.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

WebFOCUS All Releases

Posts: 45 | Location: NYC | Registered: September 21, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the confirmation. It is indeed better to update the documentation on this.
Somehow it is also logical that wildcards work with email and not with ftp distribution, as the wildcards give you with email the possibility to distribute one of the bursted reports to several email addresses if the burst value matches more wildcards. With ftp this multiple distribution is not possible.

In the meantime I have worked with dynamic ditribution lists and with the help of the documentation and some excellent past posts on this issue I got it working pretty fast. And this is also giving me plenty of flexibility as I do not have to work with fixed distribution lists, but can create them with the actual burst values in the report.

Martin.

WebFocus 8206M, iWay DataMigrator, Windows, DB2 Windows V10.5, MS SQL Server, Azure SQL, Hyperstage, ReportCaster