Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Bar chart sorting help

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Bar chart sorting help
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I've just started making charts and I could use some help.

I am working on a bar chart that sorts information

based on a selected major -> that shows how many students are in the major -> broken up by what class they are (Freshman (FR), Sophomore (SO), Junior (JR), Senior (SR), Graduate (GR)) -> Based on the term they were in (ex: Fall 2017).

I am using the class as the legend (color) for the bar chart and this is where my problem is. The sort in the graph is done alphanumerically. The bars are shown in the following order FR, GR, JR, SO, SR which is not what we want. We want them to be shown as FR, SO, JR, SR, GR.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anguel,

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Add a numeric ordering field which will be hidden.
DEFINE FILE abc
ORD /I2 = DECODE CLASS (FR 1 SO 2 JR 3 SR 4 GR 5 ELSE 0);
END
GRAPH FILE abc
SUM ...
BY ORD NOPRINT
BY CLASS
END

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This does not allow us to graph and get the legend correct. What I should have asked for was how to order the class as FR SO JR SR GR on the bar graph (which you did show us how to do) and have the legend sort that way as well.

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not sure where is your issue, but I do have the legend the same order as the data
ENGINE INT CACHE SET ON
SET PAGE-NUM=NOLEAD
SET HTMLENCODE=ON
SET ARGRAPHENGINE=JSCHART
SET EMBEDHEADING=ON
SET GRAPHDEFAULT=OFF
DEFINE FILE CAR
ORD /I2 = DECODE COUNTRY (FRANCE 1 JAPAN 2 ENGLAND 3 ITALY 4 ELSE 5);
END
GRAPH FILE car
SUM RETAIL_COST
BY ORD NOPRINT
BY SEATS
BY COUNTRY
ON GRAPH PCHOLD FORMAT JSCHART
ON GRAPH SET VZERO OFF
ON GRAPH SET GRWIDTH 1
ON GRAPH SET UNITS PIXELS
ON GRAPH SET HAXIS 770
ON GRAPH SET VAXIS 405
ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH BAR
ON GRAPH SET AUTOFIT ON
ON GRAPH SET STYLE *
*GRAPH_SCRIPT
setPieDepth(0);
setPieTilt(0);
setDepthRadius(0);
setCurveFitEquationDisplay(false);
setPlace(true);
*END
INCLUDE=IBFS:/FILE/IBI_HTML_DIR/ibi_themes/Warm.sty,$
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT='WebFOCUS Report', $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N1, BUCKET=x-axis, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N2, BUCKET=x-axis, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N3, BUCKET=color, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N4, BUCKET=y-axis, $
*GRAPH_SCRIPT
setReportParsingErrors(false);
setSelectionEnableMove(false);
*END
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

maybe by sharing your code, it's going to be much more easy to help

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you simulate your concern using the EMPDATA file or an IBI Sample file to which we all have access? That way it will be easier for us to provide assistance.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try this, and see if it graphs with the sort order intact.

BY CLASS   COLUMNS 'FR' AND 'SO' AND 'JR' AND 'SR' AND 'GR'

But note that COLUMNS will include rows in TABLE output (and their graph representation) for all the listed values, even when some have no matching incoming data.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I've had this exact problem before. The way I've done it is by tricking WebFOCUS into making it ordered with spaces.

DEFINE FILE abc
ORGANIZED_YEAR/A50 = IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'FR' THEN ' Freshman' ELSE IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'SO' THEN '  Sophomore' ELSE IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'JR' THEN '   Junior' ELSE IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'SR' THEN '    Senior' ELSE IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'GR' THEN '     Graduate';
END

WebFOCUS will organize by the amount of spaces.

Hope this helps!

WebFOCUS 8.2.01M on Windows 10

Expert
posted Hide Post
How about DECODE instead? Althought I'm not sure that the leading spaces are significant, maybe?

DEFINE FILE abc
ORGANIZED_YEAR/A50 = DECODE CLASS_CODE ('FR' ' Freshman' 'SO' '  Sophomore' 'JR' '   Junior' 'SR' '    Senior' 'GR' THEN '     Graduate' ELSE 'Something Else');
END

quote:
DEFINE FILE abc
ORGANIZED_YEAR/A50 = IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'FR' THEN ' Freshman' ELSE IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'SO' THEN ' Sophomore' ELSE IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'JR' THEN ' Junior' ELSE IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'SR' THEN ' Senior' ELSE IF CLASS_CODE EQ 'GR' THEN ' Graduate';
END

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We've managed to find a work around using the decode statement and a few other lines.

What we did was use the decode statement to order our information the way we wanted. After doing so, the Legend was not ordered the information the way information was on the bar graph. it. The legend still showed it's information as FR GR JR SO SR, even after the bar graph was ordered as FR SO JR SR GR.

To fix the legend problem, we used the decode to sort our class and set it to NOPRINT. Then we sorted by our newly sorted class. Afterwords we changed the following lines so the ordered class was now in the legend as we wanted it to be.

TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N1, BUCKET=color, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N2, BUCKET=x-axis, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N3, BUCKET=x-axis, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=N4, BUCKET=y-axis, $

We changed this to the N#'s that we needed them to be. Our BUCKET=color became an N2 instead of an N1. That's how we solved our legend problem.

Thank you all so much for the help. It was useful when solving the problem we had.

From,

Anguel Esperanza

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs