Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] COMPOUND LAYOUT

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] COMPOUND LAYOUT
 Login/Join

posted
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction or tell me it cannot be done this way.

I am writing a online proposal generator. The user can propose as many "products" as they choose. Currently each product has it's own fex. I am using COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT PDF for each product proposal. Individually they are working great.

What I would like to do is merge them into one document for displaying, printing, and saving for the end user.

I have scoured the COMPOUND LAYOUT documentation but I don't really see anything like I would like to do. Here is the just of what I would like to do:

-*Staring Point.fex
SET COMPOUND=OPEN
-INCLUDE PRODUCT1.fex

SET COMPOUNT=CLOSE
-INCLUDE PRODUCT2.fex

I've tried using IF statements inside of the Document Composer fex but that doesn't seem to work.

Basically, I would like conditional SECTIONS in the COMPOUND LAYOUT but if I am reading the documentation correctly, you can only have one SECTION.

I hope this rambling makes sense and any comments, suggestions, and/or advice would be welcome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

DevStudio Version 7701
WebFocus 7.7 Windows Server 2003 PDF Format

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Michelle,
I think I know what you are trying to do, but I need some clarification. Basically a user selects a product or a series of products. Each one of those has a related FEX that is run and you want consolidated into one compound ddocument. Correct?

Win2K3, Unix
Oracle 10G,SQL2K,XFOCUS,ESRI,BID,MRE,SELF-SERVICCE

Posts: 36 | Location: Melville,NY | Registered: August 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I am trying to do. I had something similiar but I kept getting errors. Still learning. Thanks again!!!

DevStudio Version 7701

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
OK here is something we do. Just to outline and some background. This is for earning / commission statements, with each component having it's own unique ID and detailed fex. We typically present the statment(s) as HTML and the user gets to drill from a high level summary, to a line item summary to a detail of all the records within each line item. So we provided a feature that instead of having to navigate through all of the drill downs/ statements why not grovide a facility to get all the related summaries and detailed staements in a one-click fashion for the users earning records or review. Just note that a) each ID and fex name is sitting in a table b) the first report is always the same and the we dummy up a closing report (for the compund close). Perhaps in your case you could create a standard opening and closing report but I think you can

-INCLUDE WEB_RPTRECAPSUM
-INCLUDE WEB_RPTRECAPSUMDTL
-SET &CTYPE='X' ;
-INCLUDE WEB_RPTMISCADJ
-* this section takes the users line item results(which vary from user to user and number in the hundreds) to a table that has each line item ID PLUS the detailed fex name for that ID.
JOIN COMMTYPE IN COMMALLX TO COMMTYPE IN REPORTOPTION AS JR
DEFINE FILE COMMALLX
 PER_MYY/MYY = PER_DATE;
 CHECKCOMM/A33 = IF RPTNAME GT ' ' THEN RPTNAME ELSE 'NO STATEMENT' ;
END
TABLE FILE COMMALLX
WHERE PER_MYY EQ '&cycle'  ;
WHERE CHECKCOMM NE 'NO STATEMENT'
SUM COMMTYPE
CHECKCOMM
BY COMMNAME
ON TABLE SAVE AS RPTSAVE FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN
-SET &RPTCOUNT = &LINES ;
-DEFAULT &ICOUNT = 0 ;
-REPEAT RPTLOOP FOR &ICOUNT FROM 1 TO &RPTCOUNT
-READ RPTSAVE NOCLOSE &COMMNAME.A40. &CTYPE.A4. &_FEXNAME.A33.
-IF &IORETURN NE 0 GOTO DONE_IO ;
-* pull stmt
-INCLUDE &_FEXNAME
-RPTLOOP
-DONE_IO
-CLOSE RPTSAVE
-*!!! set compound must be placed before last report
SET COMPOUND=CLOSE
TABLE FILE COMMALLX
WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
PRINT COMMNAME NOPRINT
HEADING CENTER
""
"END COMMISSIONS STATMENTS"
""
-INCLUDE INC_COMMSTYLE
 ENDSTYLE
-INCLUDE INC_COMM_RPT_OUTPUT

Win2K3, Unix
Oracle 10G,SQL2K,XFOCUS,ESRI,BID,MRE,SELF-SERVICCE

Posts: 36 | Location: Melville,NY | Registered: August 09, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There's a way to do this without the dummy report at then end. Here's how I do it: To do it this way, remove your SET COMPOUND statements.

-DEFAULT &LOOPCTR = 0;
-DEFAULT ®ION = 'MWR';

-NEXT_REGION

-SET &LOOPCTR = &LOOPCTR + 1;
-SET ®ION = IF &LOOPCTR EQ 1 THEN 'MWR' ELSE
- IF &LOOPCTR EQ 2 THEN 'NER' ELSE
- IF &LOOPCTR EQ 3 THEN 'NPR' ELSE
- IF &LOOPCTR EQ 4 THEN 'SOR' ELSE 'SWR';

-SET &CMPND = IF &LOOPCTR EQ 1 THEN 'OPEN'  ELSE
- IF &LOOPCTR EQ 5 THEN 'CLOSE' ELSE '';
-RUN
TABLE FILE SALES
PRINT SALES_AMT
BY REGION
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K &CMPND.EVAL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=ON,
  FONT='ARIAL',
  SIZE=9,
  COLOR='BLACK',
  STYLE='NORMAL',
  TOPGAP=0.013889,
  BOTTOMGAP=0.027778,
  WRAP=.85,
$
TYPE = REPORT, TITLETEXT = 'Sales-®ION.EVAL' ,$
TYPE=FOOTING, STYLE=BOLD,$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

-IF &LOOPCTR LT 5 GOTO NEXT_REGION;

WF 7.7.05
HP-UX - Reporting Server, Windows 2008 - Client, MSSQL 2008, FOCUS Databases, Flat Files
HTML, Excel, PDF

Posts: 149 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: June 08, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. Someone posted a way to do exactly what I wanted but I don't see the posting here now, so Thanks to whomever.

The solution was to have -IF conditions inside the COMPOUND LAYOUT. I had tried this before but was getting an error so I assumed it did not work. I think the error is with DevStudio though. The fex runs perfectly and does exactly what I want but now I cannot edit the fex inside the Document Composer Window. Is this an issue with the Document Composer or am I lacking a setting somewhere.

Many thanks for all the input. This forum is excellent.

DevStudio Version 7701

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Michelle,

That was me, not trying to receive kudos, but, I deleted the post after others gave examples and it seemed that was what you were looking for. I have added the code back in.

I don't use the GUI, although, I did use it to capture the code. I then code on my own.

Dialogue Manager can be used throughout ANY program, the programs will just not open back up in the GUI. Just copy the original to a test fex, and, remove the DM code, test your changes, then put the DM code back in...

hth others, too!

-* File fin_pdis_compound_pdf
-DEFAULT &FMT='PDF'
SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT &FMT
UNITS=IN, $
-*OBJECT=TOC, NAME='text1', TEXT='<font face="ARIAL" size=10>Table of Contents</font>', MARKUP=ON, TOC-NUMBERING=ON, POSITION=(0.854 0.854), DIMENSION=(9.500 7.000), font='ARIAL', color=RGB(0 0 0),  size=10, METADATA=' TOCTITLE: Table of Contents', $
OBJECT=bookmarks ,$
SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, METADATA='0.5^0.5^0.5^0.5', MERGE=OFF, ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, PAGESIZE=Letter,  $

-IF &FMT EQ 'EXL2K' GOTO SKIP_RPT1;
PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page layout 1', text='Banner Purchase Order Book', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report1', TEXT='report1', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.667 0.502), DIMENSION=(9.834 7.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 100; LEFT: 0.667in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 9.834in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.502in; HEIGHT: 7.498in', $
-SKIP_RPT1

PAGELAYOUT=2, NAME='Page layout 2', text='Purchase Order Summary', TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
-*                                                          LEFT   TOP               WIDTH HEIGHT
COMPONENT='report2', TEXT='report2', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.502 0.057), DIMENSION=(10.002 12.498),METADATA='Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 0.502in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.002in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.097in; HEIGHT: 12.498in', $

PAGELAYOUT=3, NAME='Page layout 3', text='Purchase Order Detail',  TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report3', TEXT='report3', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.480 0.200), DIMENSION=(10.599 9.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 0.480in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.599in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.200in; HEIGHT: 9.498in', $

PAGELAYOUT=4, NAME='Page layout 4', text='Purchase Order Listing',  TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report4', TEXT='report4', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.480 0.200), DIMENSION=(10.599 9.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 103; LEFT: 0.480in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.599in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.200in; HEIGHT: 9.498in', $

PAGELAYOUT=5, NAME='Page layout 5', text='Purchase Order Listing By Date',  TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report5', TEXT='report5', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.480 0.200), DIMENSION=(10.599 9.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 104; LEFT: 0.480in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.599in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.200in; HEIGHT: 9.498in', $

PAGELAYOUT=6, NAME='Page layout 6', text='Purchase Order Listing By Department',  TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report6', TEXT='report6', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.480 0.200), DIMENSION=(10.599 9.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 105; LEFT: 0.480in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.599in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.200in; HEIGHT: 9.498in', $

PAGELAYOUT=7, NAME='Page layout 7', text='Purchase Order Listing By Vendor',  TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report7', TEXT='report7', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.480 0.200), DIMENSION=(10.599 9.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 106; LEFT: 0.480in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.599in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.200in; HEIGHT: 9.498in', $

PAGELAYOUT=8, NAME='Page layout 8', text='Alphabetic Listing By Vendor',  TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report8', TEXT='report8', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.480 0.200), DIMENSION=(10.599 9.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 107; LEFT: 0.480in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.599in; POSITION: relative; TOP: 0.200in; HEIGHT: 9.498in', $

PAGELAYOUT=9, NAME='Page layout 9', text='Geographical Summary',  TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
COMPONENT='report9', TEXT='report9', TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.480 0.200), DIMENSION=(10.599 9.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 108; LEFT: 0.480in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.599in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.200in; HEIGHT: 9.498in', $

PAGELAYOUT=10, NAME='Page layout 10',text='Geographical Detail',  TOC-LEVEL=1, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0.50,RIGHTMARGIN=0.25,', $
COMPONENT='report10', TEXT='report10',TOC-LEVEL=0, POSITION=(0.480 0.200), DIMENSION=(10.599 9.498), METADATA='Z-INDEX: 108; LEFT: 0.480in; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 10.599in; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0.200in; HEIGHT: 9.498in', $

END
-IF &FMT EQ 'EXL2K' GOTO SKIP_COMP1;
SET COMPONENT='report1'
-*component_type report
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_01
-SKIP_COMP1
SET COMPONENT='report2'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_02
SET COMPONENT='report3'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_03
SET COMPONENT='report4'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_04
SET COMPONENT='report5'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_05
SET COMPONENT='report6'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_06
SET COMPONENT='report7'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_07
SET COMPONENT='report8'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_08
SET COMPONENT='report9'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_09
SET COMPONENT='report10'
-INCLUDE fin_pdis_10
COMPOUND END

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks Tom, this was exactly what I needed. I'll created a test.fex and work with that in the dev studio, though I'm finding I get better results coding myself.

DevStudio Version 7701