Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Why I'm not crazy about Dev Studio

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Why I'm not crazy about Dev Studio
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I previously started a thread about why I don't like Developer Studio GUI, I should have named it "Why I'm not crazy about Dev Studio" because:

As discussed elsewhere, Projects seems quite clumsy and useless in the three-tier environment

I can't get DevStudio to use my external text editor, even though the external text editor is registered to Windows. I try right-click, Edit with EditPlus (it IS there, in the context menu) - nothing happens. In Projects, I try right-click, Edit with EditPlus - Dev Studio freezes.

Someone mentioned that we now have a line number indicator at the bottom of the Dev Studio text editor, but the only way you can get to a particular line number is to scroll there.

When you do a Search, the Search does not wrap at the end of the file, like all other text editors I know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't get DevStudio to use my external text editor, even though the external text editor is registered to Windows. I try right-click, Edit with EditPlus (it IS there, in the context menu) - nothing happens. In Projects, I try right-click, Edit with EditPlus - Dev Studio freezes.

this is why i always bang on about notepad++, you can set it up to run against your servers, it has multitabbing, it uses styling to make code easier to read and importantly it has an explorer (actually two) meaning you can navigate your environments quickly and create, copy, edit reports rapidly- provided its not a new MRE report

the senior developers here use it almost exclusively, i do tend to use DS more than them as i like using the Command Console and the drive mapping we have setup...

i take it you don't have the opening in editplus issue with the MRE and Reporting areas in DS?

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We are not using MRE here so I haven't tried. Any other area it doesn't open. Wouldn't this be the case with Notepad++ - it's just another text editor running on your windows workstation?

"...an explorer (actually two) meaning you can navigate your environments quickly and create, copy, edit reports rapidly..." - won't this work only in a Windows environment with a drive mapped to the reporting server? I can't see this working against a UNIX reporting server, won't that require FTP?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
sorry Francis i didn't explain properly, our senior developers simply don't use DS as notepad ++ serves all their needs-

im guessing there is stuff in the project area of DS which wont be supproted outside of DS and so you need to use it (like the html update function the DS MRE provides), so yeah if it can't open editPlus it probably can't open notepad++, we don't try and open something in DS into notepad++ as we use notepad++'s own explorer...

also we don't use UNIX/FTP so ive really misled you- i do apologise....

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
In a Windows world, I definitely do not use Dev Studio, unless I just cannot map to the drive. I am forced to in this AIX world.

Cheers,

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

This problem with EditPlus has crept in with the newer versions od WF. I remember using it easily in version 5 and, if I am not mistaken, in 7.1. However, now it causes WF to loop and one has to close WF and sometimes even reboot.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Then I'll do the right thing and open a case and see where that gets me!

Thanks Daniel.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis, why not use a Samba share to access your report directly? This will also work on AIX.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I assume Samba must be installed on the AIX server, which won't happen here.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis, as you don't think Samba will be loaded onto you AIX box, does the box have FTP or SFTP ?
You could use Edit+'s FTP capabilities.
You could use WinSCP and define Edit+ as the editor, this will navigate the Unix box like explorer.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i use winscp, shareware, to access my unix server files directly, copy in bulk to and from my desktop
devstudio accesses the unix files fine, but if i want to work directly, i use the EDIT feature (which is bland, but exists) in winscp. don't need ftp.
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post