Focal Point
[SOLVED by IB] Windows 7

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/464109282

November 02, 2009, 03:38 PM
MacLonghorn
[SOLVED by IB] Windows 7
Do we know if Dev Studio has been tested with Windows 7 yet?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Thanks.

Mark
WF 7.6 Windows
November 02, 2009, 03:49 PM
Francis Mariani
DevStudio and the rest of WebFOCUS.

Thanks for daring to ask the question! I was a little surprised that it hadn't been asked yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
November 02, 2009, 03:51 PM
Waz
The bigger question is, is Window 7 any better ?
Confused

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

November 03, 2009, 01:37 AM
<JG>
Better than what?

By all accounts It very much depends on what version of Windows 7 and if you can run the XP compatibility mode
on the hardware you have.

Definitely better than Vista, but then again a dead dog is preferable to that.

To actually answer the question the answer is no it's not supported yet, I think it's planed for 8.0.

Server wise there is actually no Windows 7, it's officially 'Windows Server 2008 R2'.
Windows Server 2008 is supported as of 7.6.6
November 03, 2009, 02:41 AM
Tony A
quote:
To actually answer the question the answer is no it's not supported yet
I've tried installing on Windows 7 Professional but had to revert to XP on a dual boot.

As for Windows 7 being better? As J.G. suggests, better than Vista (and then some!) and is down to personal preference. I am impressed with the interface improvements and my 3.2 Ghz laptop runs cooler and seemingly faster (although benchmarks suggest no real improvement apart from graphics).

Of course, with any change to a GUI such as Windows, there are always changes in working practices to face such as the new IIS 7 admin tool. However, you can install the previous admin tool if you so wish.

I.E.8 seems to inexplicably hang the machine on occasion but then I think that this is possibly linked to compatability issues with Notepad ++ - the jury is still out on that. Plenty of back ups is the order of the day!

For now, I'd suggest that any PC on which you install Dev Studio should run XP - if only to comply with supported versions. Vista CDs are only useful for scaring cats out of your flower beds, in my opinion Wink.

If you must have Windows 7 then dual boot the machine and run Dev Studio on the XP partition.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
November 03, 2009, 03:18 AM
<JG>
Tony, surprised that you've resorted to duel boot.

I would have thought that as you've installed 7 prof. installing the virtualization and XP mode would be the way to go.

That's what I was planning for this weekend.
November 03, 2009, 07:24 AM
David Glick
Developer Studio Release 7.6.10 was tested and is supported on Windows 7. WebFOCUS will run on Windows 7, however, for production environments, it is not supported since Windows 7 is a client operating system and WebFOCUS is supposed to be hosted by an Enterprise Operating System like Windows 2008 Server. As far as Windows 7 being better than Vista, I'd say it is slightly better. They improved the startup and shutdown times which is a benefit, and I have found it is better when connecting to a projector.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com
November 03, 2009, 09:56 AM
Francis Mariani
quote:
it is better when connecting to a projector

Ooh, that's going to make a lot of presenters happy Roll Eyes

It is incredible that people are being conned into buying dongles to help them upgrade! And the ads sure make it appear you need a new computer to run this wunder-OS.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
November 03, 2009, 10:11 AM
dlogan
I've had at least one customer who was using Windows 7 and DevStudio.

He stated he hadn't noticed any issues, but I'm not confident he had really tested it that much yet.

At any rate the base installer at least appeared to run and some basic operations were functional. As a result it is promising that it might work in releases prior than it officially being certified.

However, its very likely there will be at least some minor inconsistencies until its officially certified and tested.

Thanks,
Doug Logan

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

November 03, 2009, 11:29 AM
<JG>
quote:
there will be at least some minor inconsistencies until its officially certified and tested

There always are, even when it is.
November 03, 2009, 02:16 PM
M Meagher
I am testing 64 bit Windows7 Ultimate with Dev Studio 7.6.10. I have had zero problems running any of the WebFOCUS applications I use with 32 bit Windows Server 2003 R2/Dev Studio or 32 bit Vista Professional/Dev Studio. It is much more stable than Vista Professional. I will keep the 32 bit Windows Server 2003 R2 for my heavy lifting, but get Windows7 for my development box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M Meagher,
November 04, 2009, 02:05 AM
Tony A
quote:
That's what I was planning for this weekend.
Hmm, where's that "job off" switch? Wink
I did think about using XP compatibility mode but as I had already created the second partition to allow me to install the beta pre release of Windows 7, it was just as easy. Also, the laptop is a machine that I use to check answers for the forum and as most folks will not have Windows 7 installed yet I can rule out XP comp issues from any problem that I encounter. Smiler

quote:
I have found it is better when connecting to a projector.
That will be due to the way MS have modified the way they achieve graphics in both the graphics and system memory etc. and is the main reason that Windows 7 appears to be slightly faster.

quote:
Buying dongles to upgrade
Never heard that Francis. Is it just in Canada I wonder? Music

quote:
one customer who was using Windows 7 and DevStudio.
Doug, Do they use the Dev Studio EDA server? If so, what version of IIS or Apache plus Tomcat are they using?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
November 04, 2009, 09:07 AM
dlogan
quote:
Doug, Do they use the Dev Studio EDA server? If so, what version of IIS or Apache plus Tomcat are they using?

I honestly do not remember. I'll see if I can pull up the details when I have a chance.

Thanks,
Doug Logan

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP