Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How does a FEX get querystring values?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How does a FEX get querystring values?
 Login/Join

posted
Sorry for the newb question, but i am new and need help. A developer is building a .NET form that will send a querystring to a webfocus report that we will build. Two questions:

1. Can you recommend what needs to be sent to in the querystring, other than the variables and their values?

2. Can you provide some code that shows how the FEX gets the querystring values and integrates them into the report?

Thanks very much for your replies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
You could build a string with all parameters similar to the following syntax
http://servername/ibi_apps/WFS...rm1=blah&parm2=blah&
etc.,

I hope this makes sense.

Sandbox: 8206.10
Dev: 8201M
Prod:8009

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but how does the report know the querystring variable values exist?

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
You can either provide variable default values or test if the variable exists.

-DEFAULT &VAR1 = '';
-DEFAULT &COUNTRY = 'CANADA';

-SET &VAR2 = IF &YEAR0.EXISTS EQ 0 THEN 'NOT FOUND' ELSE 'FOUND';

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As indicated by the other posts, any parameter in the query sting or form that is submitted will be transferred to an amper variable.

There are some exceptions to this, and these are related to WebFOCUS client variables.

Once at FOCUS level the variables can be tested for existence or defaulted, as Francis says.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So, each variable in the string will be recogniozed as an "amper variable?"

Let's say that I have one querystring variable named CenterID, and its value will be an integer. Let's also say that the queerytstring is as follows:

http://servername/ibi_apps/WFS...?CenterID=44

Can you show mw how the FEX code gets this value? (44) I apologize for not catching on immediately. Documentation on WebFOCUS questions is hard to come by on the web.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
Ordinarily our FEX files load, and wait for the user to physically add parameters and then click the submit button. In the situation where the parameters are in a querystring, how does the FEX use the variables and "auto-run?"

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
WebFOCUS Documentation is not difficult to find. Try here: Information Builders Technical Documentation Library. Click on the "Quick Link" appropriate for the version you work with and download all the PDF documentation files. The Help on Developer Studio is reasonably good as well.

I don't understand the fixation with how variables are passed to the WebFOCUS program and I don't understand what you mean by "user ... physically add parameters".

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
physically add parameters

Sounds like Autoprompt.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Query String variables do automatically become "amper variables", but they are not automatically passed to the Reporting Server.

To pass a Query String variable to the Reporting Server you must add the something like the following under:
WF Admin Console -> Configuration -> Custom Settings
<SET> VARNAME (pass)

Where VARNAME is the name of the variable from the query string that you want to be passed to the Reporting Server.

If you want to pass a series of amper variables to a report without going through that, you can send the list within IBIF_params.

e.g. The following passing &COUNTRY=ENGLAND and &SEATS=2:
&IBIF_parms=COUNTRY%3DENGLAND%2C+SEATS%3D2

Its also worth noting that the entire query string is an amper variable itself.

e.g.
<SET> QUERY_STRING (pass)

Will make the entire query string as a variable available to a FEX.

Depending on what you're trying to do there is also "Global Amper Variables". These are defined with a && within a FEX, and will be carried from one running of a procedure to the next.

WF 71.x, 76.x, 7701, 8.0 Beta OS: Linux, Win2k3, Win2k, Win2k8, WinXP

Posts: 203 | Registered: November 19, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I figured it out. To make the FEX dynamically get the variable, I had to remove the reference to a dropdown select in the WHERE clause. It was there because originally the user had to input a parameter after the FEX loaded in their browser. Perhaps that is the Autoprompt that Waz mentioned.

Thanks for all of the replies, except for those that referenced a "fixation" on my part.

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs