Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] how to show field or system variable on HTML page

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] how to show field or system variable on HTML page
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I'm trying to figure out how to show a value of a field (from a TABLE FILE) on an HTML page - I suppose in a text box, or some other component or control.

I came up with one way to do this by creating a TABLE FILE (similar to the main TABLE FILE which makes up the main report which appears on the HTML page) which only outputs the one field I'm interested in. And then I add that report (the 2nd TABLE FILE) to the HTML page. But I'd have to do all these steps (creating a new TABLE FILE for each field I want to see) for the other fields I want to appear on the HTML page.

I was hoping there was a simpler way to do this. Searching Focal Point, the closest I could find was to use javascript. But since I don't know anything about javascript - tho I know there's a tab at the bottom of the HTML canvass call Embedded JavaScript - I really didn't understand it.

Do you know of another way to do this? Or, to explain how I can get started with javascript?

Thanks,
Mark

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WF 8.2.02
App Studio
DataMigrator
ReportCaster
Windows Server 2016

Posts: 42 | Registered: September 08, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can HOLD the fields you want... -READ them in to &Variables... Display them in a -HTMLFORM using !IBI.AMP.VariableName;.

I hope this helps

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Also can use !IBI.GLB.variablename; for a global variable

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the GLB refresher Smiler There's a list of all values for the 2nd arg, !IBI.2ndArg.variablename;, someplace...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Thanks for the info. I know how to do the HOLD. And I know how to do the -READ.

But I don't know how to display them in a -HTMLFORM using !IBI.AMP.VariableName;. I don't know what that means.

Thanks,
Mark

WF 8.2.02
App Studio
DataMigrator
ReportCaster
Windows Server 2016

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
@Doug, searching through the Developing Reporting Applications manual I find six of them. Run the following code to see five of them in action:

-SET &Variable = 'foo ';
-SET &&Variable = 'globfoo';

SET EMBEDDABLE=ON

TABLE FILE car
 PRINT CAR
 WHERE READLIMIT IS 2
 ON TABLE HOLD AS holdfile FORMAT ALPHA
 END

-HTMLFORM BEGIN 
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body style="font-family:consolas;">
    &|#33;IBI.AMP.Variable; = !IBI.AMP.Variable; 
<br>&|#33;IBI.GLB.Variable; = !IBI.GLB.Variable; 
<br>&|#33;IBI.AML.Variable; = !IBI.AML.Variable; 
<br>&|#33;IBI.GLL.Variable; = !IBI.GLL.Variable;
<br>&|#33;IBI.FIL.holdfile; = !IBI.FIL.holdfile; 
<br>&|#33;IBI.OBJ.Variable; {html/js code embedding} 
<body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END

@folkie You are asking about HOLD and -HTMLFORM ... the example above and the documentation give you an idea of what that is all about. I'm guessing that you are creating your html page in App Studio's HTML Canvas tool? If so, then you could also use the !IBI.AMP.Variable; and !IBI.FIL.Variable; with HTML Canvas. With the !IBI.FIL.Variable; you would avoid having to do a -READ OR -READFILE.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06

Posts: 210 | Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan | Registered: October 19, 2010Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
dbeagan,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to this. Yes, I’m creating my HTML page in the App Studio design canvas. I only mentioned HOLD and HTMLFORM because that’s what previous replies mentioned.

I was hoping I could select an object (a Component or Control such as Text, or Hyperlink or whatever) and have that object display a variable or field from a TABLE FILE (that I assume would be listed in the Request & Data Sources tab). Can that be done with things like !IBI.AMP.Variable or !IBI.GLB.Variable? I’ve never heard of these things (don’t even know what you call them). I see examples on page 420 in the Developing Reporting Applications PDF, but I still don’t understand where they go. How do I use that in the GUI (canvas) to place the info where I want to place it?

I’ll look at that again (page 420) but I got the hang of doing it the only way I could figure out. But I had to create 6 additional TABLE FILEs to get the six fields on my HTML page using 6 Report Components. So far, I can’t figure out how these !IBI.Variables are any easier.

Thanks,
Mark

WF 8.2.02
App Studio
DataMigrator
ReportCaster
Windows Server 2016

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The variables are literal text typed in an HTML Canvas Text Component as shown in this image:

WebFOCUS 8.2.06

Posts: 210 | Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan | Registered: October 19, 2010Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
dbeagan,

Ahh. Now I see. I did a little test (copied your example) and it worked. I'll try to see if I can adapt it to what I'm trying to do.

I'm starting with opening an HTML page and having the main report run in a Report object (it's the first time I'm doing something like that). Whereas with your example the TABLE FILE is run first (to get certain variables) to populate the HTML page.

It may be a while, but I'll let you know if I can figure out how to use what you have with what I'm doing.

Thanks again for starting me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Mark

WF 8.2.02
App Studio
DataMigrator
ReportCaster
Windows Server 2016

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
After adapting what dbeagan has to what I'm doing, it works. I guess I had to do it for myself to see and understand it.

Now, instead of running/opening the HTML page, the user runs the TABLE FILE first. It creates the HOLD file of variables I want to use and then opens the HTML page, which is the same as my original HTML page but it now also has the new text boxes with the !IBI.AMP variables.

Now, I can do this webpage without most of the extra TABLE FILEs I had been using and putting into the webpage as individual report objects. And it's easier to deal with these new smaller text boxes than the bigger report objects in the HTML canvas.

Thanks for all your help.

Mark

WF 8.2.02
App Studio
DataMigrator
ReportCaster
Windows Server 2016

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
That's great. I'm glad it worked out for you.

WebFOCUS 8.2.06