Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Dev Studio instability - How to convince IBI to look into it?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Dev Studio instability - How to convince IBI to look into it?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted Hide Post
And, we "UNCHECK" that box so that it displays much more quickly in the webviewer...

Users open a browser, Chrome, Firefox, IE, Opera, Safari, etc. to run/access WebFOCUS reports/portals in that browser of their choice; it is machine specific...

Hi Francis, Yes, we are all "users"!

Hey Dan, hope all is well...
Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi David, thanks for engaging in the discussion! It really is appreciated and rare for company executives to engage directly with their developer community, and is a gold star for Information Builders.

However, I still believe you are making more problems with the developers by clinging to a monolithic approach in the authoring tool and sacrificing the need for different browser support under the convenience of "cookie management" with IE.

I can't speak for other developers on the preference for one-tool-to-rule-all-functions, but I do know that IBI has spanned a rather large and impressive background from the mainframe via core language text editor through web-based GUI approaches. In just looking at the lineage of the authoring tool, each subsequent addition of functionality adds more complexity (and inherently, instability) to authoring tool. By sacrificing modular design for an all-in-one approach, it's great for those super-developers who are also WF system administrators and who also work in HTML composer, GRAPH, Text Editor, WF Admin console, Reporting Server Console, etc etc. But really, how many of the developers have that level of responsibility in a corporate or university shop? How about letting *US* decide what components to pull together. I know that all I really are about is the text editor for the core language and to run (dispatch) the fex on the reporting server. Unfortunately, I've got to drag all those other functions available in the tool with me when I run the 1.2 Gb installation executable.

As to the IE cookie convenience, I do believe that I echo many other developers when I ask that we be provided THE OPTION to launch in the browser of our choice -- cookie management convenience aside. If we had THE CHOICE, we could forgo the convenient features of auto-authentication in favor of testing in different browsers like Chrome or Safari. I know for a fact that this has been requested for years and as recently as last Summit presenters were said that this new feature was available (in App Studio?) only to be presented with the "internal browser" which is certainly not what is being requested.

Alas, I'm still waiting for the OSX/Mac and Linux version of Dev Studio or App Studio. It's a big pain to run this in a VM. Maybe if it wasn't so tightly tied to a one-size-for-all Windows/IE, it might be able to have components ported to environments increasingly used in the corporate arena (Macbooks for sure).

-- Dan in Omaha

Hey Tom, all is well....busy, but still doing WF coding....

WF 8.0.05 (Prod) 8.0.08 (Test)

Posts: 56 | Location: Omaha, Ne USA | Registered: October 15, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Dan,

You will have the ability to launch any installed browser.

Guru
posted Hide Post
David,

that's just about the best news I've heard for a long time. IE has not been the preferred browser for many years.

Regards
Håkan

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post