Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     PCHOLD FORMAT EXL97 causes windows to lock with EXCEL not attached to screen.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
PCHOLD FORMAT EXL97 causes windows to lock with EXCEL not attached to screen.
 Login/Join

Master
posted
One of our users used RA to write her own report and requested EXL97 output format instead of the more usual EXL2K.

I was able to replicate what happened on her machine.

1. The report ran and then a request to download file WFServlet.xls appeared with a choice of OPEN or SAVE. I chose save and then the IE window of the report hung for about 5 minutes then the CPU usage of the machine rocketed.

2. On investigation this was a copy of Excel that was not even attached to an output window.

3. Even using task manager the job could not be shut down so I had to switch my machine off using the Start menu 'shut down' option.

4. When I tried that I got the following message:

unable to open file
res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll dnserror.htm

Eventually I had to use the power button to reboot my machine.

I told the user to switch to EXL2K and things worked fine.

There has been a recent upgrade from WIN2K to XP so that might be the cause of the problem but I am completely flummoxed by this.

If possible I will have to customise RA to remove EXL97 as an option for possible output or educate the users to always use EXL2K.

Does anyone know what this could be please?

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't know why you are getting the error but I would definitely educate your users to use EXL2K. I had one user complaining because her formatting was all messed up and when she switched to EXL2K from EXL97, her problems went away.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
EXL97 has very limited formatting available. It also has less capacity than EXL2K, which may be why it locked up. When that happens and you try to shut down from task manager, you also have to go into PROCESSES and shut down EXCEL. Unfortunately, we have users that are still running 97, so I have to use it as an option.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
hamm01i, ginny: yes agreed users to be educated to use exl2k (this way they get headings, calculations etc.)..
o one other trick that 'might' help as long as no other reports in that environment must use excel vs. exl2k . try setting in profile for that user WIHT a 'LET' statement in effect, e.g.

LET FORMAT EXCEL = FORMAT EXL2K
END

ira aix 533 wf 5.3.6

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0