Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     IBM buys Cognos for $5 billion.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
IBM buys Cognos for $5 billion.
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
SAP bought Business Objects
Oracle bought Hyperion.

With consolidation going in the Business Intelligence space, I am wondering what the future means for WebFOCUS. Any thoughts?

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM

Posts: 176 | Location: Desplaines | Registered: August 05, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I thought webfocus gained a huge foothold with IBM when they put webfocus on the iSeries as a product called 'webquery', but it's the exact same thing as far as I can tell.

Maybe in the IBM world, the iSeries folks don't talk to the other IBM folks so now they're handling two BI systems, one for the iSeries and one for everything else.

I really don't know if Cognos can be run on the iSeries, but if it can I would assume IBM would drop it on there to consolidate marketing, support costs and development time.

as far as I know though, the iSeries isn't really a favored system any more anyhow with pc's getting so cheap and RPG programmers getting harder and harder to find.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does sound a little scary at times. We are a big SAP shop.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Not good news - markets as they mature tend to go to a few big players. We're left standing against the wall as the big players waltz off with their chosen partners.

The frightening thing is that we know what Lemmings senior management are. They will disregard technical merits and run with the pack as the proved by the saying:

quote:

"Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."

Sorry I meant

quote:

"Nobody ever got fired for buying Cognos"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammo1j,

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
well, IBM is using webfocus stuff as a replacement/upgrade to the old query/400 application on their iSeries platform.

I'm not sure what market share the iSeries enjoys compared to IBM's other servers but I can't imagine IBM putting the iSeries out to pasture, or spending all that effort to integrate webfocus only to replace it with cognos...unless of course the 'right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing' at IBM over the past year or so. Wink

Maybe cognos was an impulse buy and IBM didn't research what the iSeries group was up to with webfocus before they jumped in.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is Information builders still on the block for anyone to purchase? Way back Hyperion was looking at purchasing IBI.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
mgrackin, are you in the market to buy up a software company?

You could just buy a few shares of google and that should cost about the same as what Cognos cost IBM. Wink

Master
posted Hide Post
Jason, Mickey

I get it now Wink IBM didn't get IB because Google are offering more...

...we wish!

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
here's an article on how it relates to the iSeries platform from IBM.
http://www.systeminetwork.com/isnblogs/productlines/200...dors_view_ibmco.html