Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     is there a REVERSE function in 7 that reads a string backwards?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
is there a REVERSE function in 7 that reads a string backwards?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
or have i lost my mind?
i'm sure i remember discovering that..and now i can't find it.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
REVERSE
Reverses the characters in a character string. This function is available only for
WebFOCUS.
Available Operating Systems: AS/400, HP, OS/390, UNIX, Windows
Available Languages: reporting, Maintain

This is from the using functions manual 713, it doesn't really say how to use it. I can't find better information searching the website either.

your mind seems to be with you though!

drew

WF 7.6.6 Linux, FOCUS 7.8 zOS

Posts: 46 | Location: San Francisco, California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
From the 7.6 Doc for Data Migrator:
REVERSE(length, source_string, outfield)

where:

length
    Integer

Is the number of characters in the source_string and outfield.

source_string
    Alphanumeric

Is the string to reverse characters.

outfield
    Alphanumeric  

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ah. bless you both. The doc is mysteriously thin, isn't it.
this is a very useful command... eg checking the validity of an email address. REVERSE it, and then look for the posit of the 1st period.. If reading normally, even the first period after an @ isn't quite good enuf.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Susannah

I would love to see the end result, how you exactly test the validity of a e-mail address.
Is this at input or when you print or when you use the e-mail address in RC?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
What about GETTOK?
This code:

DEFINE FILE CAR
LSTTOK/A12=GETTOK(MODEL,24,-1,' ',12,'A12');
END
TABLEF FILE CAR
PRINT MODEL LSTTOK
END

Gives these results. What is to the right of the last embedded blank (or anty other character).

MODEL LSTTOK
----- ------
V12XKE AUTO AUTO
XJ12L AUTO AUTO
INTERCEPTOR III III
TR7 TR7
504 4 DOOR DOOR
2000 GT VELOCE VELOCE
2000 SPIDER VELOCE VELOCE
2000 4 DOOR BERLINA BERLINA
DORA 2 DOOR DOOR
B210 2 DOOR AUTO AUTO
COROLLA 4 DOOR DIX AUTO AUTO
100 LS 2 DOOR AUTO AUTO
2002 2 DOOR DOOR
2002 2 DOOR AUTO AUTO
3.0 SI 4 DOOR DOOR
3.0 SI 4 DOOR AUTO AUTO
530I 4 DOOR DOOR

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Frank, RC addresses should be pretty clean, so i'm looking at an incoming text file of our retail customer addresses, given at the cash register. the structure is total gibberish...and the email address is sometimes in the Phone# field, the address field, who knows. So, cleaning up a messy file is FOCUS at its most fun. The MFD reading the source file has a hundred DEFINE's in it...removing special characters, squeezing, triming, upper casing...etc etc.
The FEX reading the resultant data then starts looking for email patterns in all the fields, ie an @ sign (the most obvious), an '2AOL' or '2HOTM' indicating that the register clerk didn't quite hit the @.
Once i find something that looks like it could be an email address, i break it into 2 parts: front and back, ie (1)name and (2)@domain and suffix.
The back part, domain.suffix contains many dots.. (many reasons, some valid, some whacky)
so i want to first find the last dot.. and its relative POSIT and then evaluate whats after it for .COM, .EDU, etc, if its '.c ' then make it '.com', etc. If the POSIT of that last dot is 4, i'm in good shape; if its less than 4, i got to figure out the mostlikely suffix. If its more than 4, hmmm, probably insanity.
so, REVERSEing that back part and standardizing that suffix, then allows me to break the back part into 2 bits (2a) domain, and (2b) suffix.
Now i can clean the domain bit, taking the extra dots out of, say, 'j.p.morgan'...
Long long fex...cleans up pretty near everything..uses every text function they can come up with.
(including that GETTOK that ET mentions above) Fun to write, performs 'sheer magic' according to my users.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ok Susannah
Thanks for the explanation. I love those things.
I hope you will find my email address (its with ".nl" )
and I'm sure the British will give some problems too.
You can combine things like country also.

We did something like that with address info that is put into the database with only capitals.
That's not nice when you send your most import clients a "personal" invitiation.
But changing things like "J.A.DE WIT" (that's not my name) into "J.A.de Wit" is a challenge.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post