Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Chained Controls HTML Composer [SOLVED]

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Chained Controls HTML Composer [SOLVED]
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I am looking to chain contorls for 4 fields (Country -> Buyer -> Warehouse -> Vendor) in the HTML composer.

My first chain is working correctly and when I select a Country I am only getting the Buyers for the selected Country. However when I try to add the chaining to the Warehouse/Vendor dropdowns I am getting a red outline around the drop down box and am unable figure out why.

My paramaters are chained as follows

Country

Buyer

Warehouse

Vendor

The table WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL is a summary table I am building. Any and all help resolving this is greatly appreciated and please let me know if I need to provide any further information.

Thanks,

-Luke

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Luke Forster,

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Guru
posted Hide Post
If you use the same table for all selection boxes then you don't need to add the WHERE's. Just remove the WHERE's and link the edits when it should work automatically.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Chaining will work when you use same xml file to populate all the dropdowns. No need to give filters on different xml's. Just use one xml with all the columns selected and give chaining. It will work.

Thanks,
Pravin Singh

WebFOCUS 7703
Windows, All Outputs
pravinsinghwebfocus.blogspot.com

Posts: 51 | Location: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 | Registered: June 19, 2014Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AFAIK, the chaining in HTML composer is only capable of passing a single parameter. That would work between your first and second inputs, but not after that as those require 2 and 3 parameters respectively.

A possible work around is to pass on a concatenation of the previous values, but those same values will be what gets posted to your procedure so you may need to split them again there to be able to use them.

The red outline usually means you omitted to select a value in a required field - fields default to 'required' in HTML Composer. Check your properties tab if that's not what you intended.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
and if you do want to use custom filters, make sure you include your preceding filters in a BY

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frans:
If you use the same table for all selection boxes then you don't need to add the WHERE's. Just remove the WHERE's and link the edits when it should work automatically.

As you mentioned I am using the same table for all of the chained selection boxes. That said when I remove the WHERE's the chaining is still not working.

The dropdowns are now all populated with the correct data but if I select a country it still displays buyers globally instead of just the applicable records for the selected country.

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Can you provide the code you are using to generate your XML file ?
Post the code using the "code" tag, not an image please.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartinY:
Can you provide the code you are using to generate your XML file ?
Post the code using the "code" tag, not an image please.

Please let me know if the below is not what you are asking for. Not sure if any of this matters but I am using a dynamic embeded procedure and am adding an All option to each of these drop down lists.

Country
 TABLE FILE WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL
SUM FST.WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.COUNTRY
 BY WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END 

Buyer
SUM FST.WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.BUYER_NAME
 BY WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.BUYER_NAME
END

Warehouse
SUM FST.WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.WAREHOUSE
 BY WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.WAREHOUSE
END 

Vendor
SUM FST.WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.VENDOR_ID
 BY WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.VENDOR_ID
END 

-Luke

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
To use the chaining (and auto-filter based on selection), your XML file must contain all the data :
SUM WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.COUNTRY
    WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.BUYER_NAME
    WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.WAREHOUSE
    WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.VENDOR_ID
END 

The same code must be used to all your controls : country, buyer, warehouse, vendor. Then choose proper BY and SUM field for respectively "Display field" and "Value field" of the control.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MartinY:
To use the chaining (and auto-filter based on selection), your XML file must contain all the data :
SUM WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.COUNTRY
    WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.BUYER_NAME
    WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.WAREHOUSE
    WF_E3FCA_SUMMARY_GLOBAL.SEG01.VENDOR_ID
END 

The same code must be used to all your controls : country, buyer, warehouse, vendor. Then choose proper BY and SUM field for respectively "Display field" and "Value field" of the control.

Thank you so much for your help.

-Luke

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
My pleasure.

Edit your first post of this thread and add to the title a [SOLVED] tag.

In Focus since 2007

Expert
posted Hide Post
That's only 1 method of chaining. there are 2.
This first 1 only works for a relatively small set of data, as the entire xml array has to load into the browser in one fell swoop. That may take a long time, or the users browser may give up and fail to load; We call this 'compound';
In the 'complex' method, we would use separate fexes for each dropdown,
with each successive fex containing a filter for all the prior dropdown variables. Tony A and I did a presentation at summit a few years ago on this subject ; 'The Chain Gang' i think was the title of the prez. it may be findable on the ibi site of summit presentations.
In don't know how the composer works in 8 , but in 76, once the page was setup and the variables chained in dev studio, you then had to open the htm file in a text editor and change the settings of 'cacheruntimedata=1' back to 'cacheruntimedata=0'; then it all worked.

the principal difference being:with the 'compound' method , the users selection changes were done in the browser; with the 'complex' method, the users selection meant a trip back to the server for each successive selection.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the 'complex' method, we would use separate fexes for each dropdown

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post